Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Expected salary for Hot Boat ??

Slick
    Not to get biblical or anything, but there is a quote that I try to live by (sometimes unsuccessfully): THE BORROWER IS SLAVE TO THE LENDER. I hate seeing people that live and work to pay for a huge house, truck, car, boat, etc. I bet that monkey could get a loan for any of the afformentioned boats, too. Don't get in over your head. There's a reason there are so many brand new boats for sale with only 30 hours on them. Just my $.02
    Slick

froggystyle
    Hot tip Fastech, buy a smaller boat, become a boat owner, and get to be a great, not good, but great driver. Learn the rules of the road wherever you plan on going. You will piss a lot less people off getting RA or LA (river aware/lake aware)in a 21' boat than a 42'. You will have far more options as to where to go, and a lot easier time towing it there. My wife and I make a good living now, and I feel that a nice boat is a major quality of life issue. We have no kids, and own both of our 2000 and 2001 vehicles outright. You will need a vehicle that is nearly specifically a tow vehicle for a 42', i.e. a $50,000 diesel rig, and that you can only finance for 5 years. If you were to spend your money on a new boat, you can get a loan for 15 years, with good interest rate. I say start smaller, but high quality like RiverDave said. Get a new Ultra, and if things are working out in a year or so, buy a sweet tow vehicle. The year after that, buy a newer Ultra, and then move up to the Donzi whatever. Either way, most guys I know with huge boats, also have a smaller ski/fun boat in the garage. It is just more fun.

Chestah Cheetah
    The topic that started this thread sounds a lot like something that a lot of people have always thoght about. HOW MUCH MONEY DO I NEED TO MAKE TO BUY THAT BOAT? Here's a better question: How much money are you realistically making, how much do you have left over monthly (if any)? Divide that number by 3 and there's your boat budget. I say 3 because there is a lot of shit that you won't realize that costs a lot of money, and this is a safe number because you will probably use two 1/3's of it for the boat anyway.
    Beofore this season started, I was ready to order an HTM SR 24. Had the money and the credit. I thought about it and came to the conclusion that I was not ready to start with that boat as my first. I needed to get experience (RA/LA). I bought a nice 17' Cheetah that I could set on fire and I wouldn't care. I will move up when I'm ready, and you have to be realistic about when you're ready.

OC PARTYCAT
    Hey FASTECH, If you are going to be making 65K and your wife the same,you dont have anything but a townhouse in NC, dont you think you would be able to aford a 100K boat with creative financing? There should be no question. Even if you bought a house with a 2K mortgage. It all depends on your priorities. At that pay you could afford 800-1,000 p month for a boat"easy" you might be financing it for life but "what the hell, you got the boat, right?

25 Outlaw 502
    Originally posted by FASTECH:
    Hi, I am new here but I need to know what is a good annual salary that a person should make to own a decent used(or new) sports boat, example:BAJA 302, DONZI 28ZX,FORMULA 312, OR PROFILE 29...all between the years of 94'-00'.. an info will be great, thanks.
    chris
    Chris, lots of interest generated with this question so hear is my .02. Make sure you know how to drive a boat prior to dumping alot of money. If you screw up an run aground, kill a drive or something else that costs big bucks to fix then you will be stuck with a big monthly payment and broken boat. Also insurance is not too bad for a boat until you make a big claim then stand by once again more debt. I am on my third boat 25 Baja Outlaw and love most things about it. I am currently fighting with Baja due to some performance issues but it is solid and very comfortable. I would recommend a Baja but make sure you get something with a warranty. Stupid little things that ALWAYS will break on boats it is just nicer to have someone else crawling around in the bilge to fix. Also I don't know what you have to tow it or if you plan on dry storage. I tow my 25 with a 4runner and I'm very maxed out at that. Only a mile to the ramp so who cares. Anyway 25-27 is probally about as much as most would want to tow on a regular basis. Bonus to towing is cheaper fuel than at the marina by a lot. It is also easier to maintain your investment on a trailer. Good luck!!!!
    Larry

Catatonic
    Sorry O.C. Partycat but I have to disagree with you. It seems that only a few years ago (like 10) I was graduating college as well with the hopes of making about the same as Fastech is looking at: $65,000. Now, I'm a college grad with a Business Degree, a Business Consultant by trade, a hot boater and a Havasu local so I feel that I must pontificate on this subject. Your ***boat to income ratio (or any toy) should not exceed 10% of your monthly take. Let's just say that you do make your 65K that you are hoping for. I'm going to assume that you are a single-income family because I cannot speculate on future marital prospects. At 65K, that gives you a post-tax take home of $4,333.34 (based on a 20% tax bracket). Using the 10% formula, your monthly ***boat "slush fund" is a mere $433.34. With little down on a 15 note and competitive rates, your payment will be around $400 a month. Forget about eating top ramen, you'll be eating dirt with only $33.34 left a month. Of course, this would only apply if you stuck strickly to the 10% rule of expense. Just beware, my first boat was a 22' Advantage Sport Cat for which I paid a little over $30,000. My payment was affordable but I immediately broke a drive along with the motor mounts in the boat. That rang up about a $3,000 bill. Next time out, a road gator got me and blew the left rear tire on the trailer and took off half of my chrome fender. Same trip as that, I lost the hydraulic steering and crashed into a boat full of nuns with orphans. Actually, that didn't happen to me...but this guy I know. You get the point, start small and progressively get bigger. It's not the boat's payment, it's the intrinsic or uncalculated expenses that making boating expensive...and kids too, I hope you're not planning on having any of those.$$$

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345