Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Check out these Lake Havasu letters to the editor!!

Backfire
    Guys, I just read a couple of letters to the editor in Today's News-Herald (Lake Havasu). Thought you might get a kick out of them.
    ---------------------------------
    Editor:
    An open letter to CF. I know that is your name because it's printed on the bow of your boat. I just want to apologize to you for using your river and lake on Saturday. I know that's your day, and I should be ashamed of myself. But you see, some friends of mine wanted to see Topock Canyon and they work during the week. That's my only excuse.
    Boy, you sure have a lot of boats. Really fast and loud too. I'm sorry we got in your way going upriver, but don't worry; it only took us a few minutes to bail out. My friend, seated in the bow of my pontoon, said it was really quite refreshing on such a hot day. I did kind of miss the blackbirds that usually fly alongside our boat for handouts. I suppose they can't get up to 80 or 90 miles per hour to get out of your way. It would be silly for them to be out there on a Saturday.
    Stupid me, I thought you didn't go above the sand bar and, again, I got in your way. I just didn't realize that is the part of the river where you really open up. I guess the sound bounces off the canyon walls and makes it seem even faster. I know it seemed louder. I tried to explain to my guests the beauty of the canyon when it's quiet, but they could only take my word for it.
    The wild life didn't seem to mind. We spotted a couple sheep way, way up on top of the canyon. We could see them pretty well through the binoculars each time our boat rolled up and then back down. Do sheep frown, or do they always have that worried look on their faces?
    AZ (aka Ed Schweizer)
    Lake Havasu
    928-453-5219
    -------------------------------------
    Editor:
    After reading the article titled "Authorities clamp down on overnight mooring in the channel" dated Friday, July 5, in Today's News-Herald, I just had to add my two cents from a fisherwoman's point of view.
    I moved here from Tucson a year ago and fell in love with the city and people. I had a few setbacks but have moved on and I am now enjoying the city and what it has to offer, the biggest, being the lake. I don't own a boat, so my fishing is done from the bank. I do work full time and my hours and days off vary from week to week. I learned from the first day that fishing is fantastic here, and the channel is one good place to fish. There is one thing wrong: there are days I can't even think about fishing the channel because of the boats, and if I did happen to stake a piece of shoreline, I would soon be pushed out.
    I believe that all waters in the U.S.A. are under federal control, and with all the boaters moored there during the holidays, at time, the waterway is in violation of federal laws. I'm not a lawyer, just a Simple woman who enjoys the outdoors. I don't want to be one of the many good citizens here who have surrendered the lake and the channel to the massive visitors every holiday weekend. You stopped the parking of tractor trailers and have cleaned up the parking along Lake Havasu Avenue. I'm sure we can do something to make the channel a place where I can fish. We are a growing city and need to start addressing exactly this type of problem. Stop being afraid to step on someone's toes. Enforce the laws we have; we don't need more.
    Val Payne
    Lake Havasu
    928-453-5310

RiverToysJas
    So beause these people want to "enjoy" the water EVERYDAY, we can't have even one day! Yeah, that's reasonable. Could someone remind me what country this is again?
    RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

lawbreaker2
    sound to me the tree hugers are moving in, this is a rec. town dont like it leave!!!

B-rad502
    Does anybody out there have any cheese to go with their whine??
    A lot of people think it's their own lake, yeah, whatever!
    Blah, blah, blah, blah........

riverracerx
    Tell her to stay home, buy a goldfish and throw her pidly line in his tank and ask him if he likes it. Then tell her to go north for the summer with the flock of bluehairs.
    More gas, more power, more speed. Get out of my way!

MrHavasuCat
    I laugh when I hear somebody use the term "visitor". First of all I tell them that I own a house in Havasu, so I am a little more than a visitor. And most of the people that I have met that live there have relocated (mostly from So.Cal.) from another place. They act like they are Havasu natives.
    F them!!Havasu was built as a boating community. Maybe someone should call Val and tell here how Mcullough (sp) founded the place, and used the lake for his outboard testing.

RVRKID
    I didn't think fishing was allowed in the channel!! Would love to get a hook in my leg while standing in the water!!

1stepcloser
    An open letter to CF. I know that is your name because it's printed on the bow of your boat. I just want to apologize to you for using your river and lake on Saturday. I know that's your day, and I should be ashamed of myself.
    Apology accepted. Hey, no hard feelings, OK? It's a big lake, and were more than willing to share.
    Boy, you sure have a lot of boats. Really fast and loud too.
    Yeah, we take our boating pretty seriously around here. Glad you can appreciate our hobby as much as we do!!
    Stupid me, I thought you didn't go above the sand bar and, again, I got in your way. I just didn't realize that is the part of the river where you really open up.
    Again, no hard feelings, dont take it so hard, like i said, we are always willing to share the lake. Yes, the river is where we tend to lay the throttle down, mostly due to the lack of traffic and generally better water conditions.
    As for you turning in front of me without even so much as a casual glance behind you, ( I know, you dropped your beer and didnt want to spill the last of the two cases you had consumed during the trip) Sorry that I swamped you. I am just glad we didnt collide.
    Anyway, The apologies are duly noted and accepted without restriction.
    In the future, however, please drive more carefully, as your boat is much slower than most, and always look behind you before turning.

spectras only
    Just want to put my 0.02 worth here.Lot of people ,especially ones with water front property think they have the right to the water/access at their property.WRONG! Nobody will ever own the water,priod.It is federal property for ever.In tidal waters the government has set the property line 2 meters[ 6' for you guys in the states]past the high tide level.So anyone can pull their boat up the beach anywhere front of anybody's property legally.If the property owner is a lunatic and comes out with a 12 gauge http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif you still oblige to move on though and find a more tolerant property owner.I say this ,because here in B.C a lot of snobbish folks think you should F...Off from their popular cove when you decide to drop anchor .I think people are territorial just like animals http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

MrHavasuCat
    Spectra's
    Is this true everywhere? I know there are private beaches north of the bridge in the channel at havasu. If this is true maybe I will have to try out their beach sometime http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    [This message has been edited by MrHavasuCat (edited July 10, 2002).]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast