Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TOWING TO LAKE POWEL FROM PHOENIX

91nordic29
    we live in phoenix and have a 29' nordic. we tow with our dodge ram 1500 and have no problems going to havasu or the local lakes. we want to go to lake powell but i am uneasy about towing that far on the bigger hills.
    anyone have any input, etc??
    thanks! eek!

Sleek-Jet
    What part of the lake are you going to? Page, or one of the other marinas?

91nordic29
    dont have any plans yet. havent ever been so i dont even know how to answer that one. maybe you have some suggestions?

Sleek-Jet
    I go to Halls Crossing or Hite (but Hite isn't even open this year) because they are closer to where I live. Needless to say, I like the northern end of the lake better. I don't know about Pheonix to Flagstaff, but it's pretty flat once past Flag to Page.
    If you decide to come on up to Halls, there are a couple of pretty good hills, the biggest being an 8 mile grind out of Combs Wash. I would say that if you can make the climb up out of Phoenix alright, you should be able handle anything else.
    Theres a couple of guys from Flagstaff that post here, hopefully they will see this and can give you better info than I can about the road to Page.

91nordic29
    thanks a bunch. i am a big worry wart. drives my hubby crazy.

Sleek-Jet
    I have a friend that towed at 22' sea-ray cabin cruiser (a pretty heavy boat) from here to Halls with a 1500 Suburban. He never had any trouble at all, just kind of slow at times.
    Hope you enjoy the lake. Do you want to rent a houseboat, camp, or staying on shore somewhere? We were talking about renting housboats the other day, and it is rumored you can get one with as little as a weeks notice now since thier bookings are so far down.
    [ April 24, 2003, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

91nordic29
    we wouldnt mind doing houseboat, or sleep on our/shore camp. the campgrounds seem to far from lake to go back and forth every day. like to be close to water.

DogHouse
    There are some good hills on the way to Flag. Just plan to take it slow and you'll be fine. There is another steep grade after 89 splits, left down to Lee's Ferry or right up the hill to Page. There are no spots that are unsafe or anything like that. Again, just take your time. I usually plan about 5-6 hours from North Phoenix where I live, depending on time of day and kid/meal stops. I agree that the north end of the lake is the best, but driving to Halls is a loooong trip! I prefer to drop in at State Line and boat up the lake. Doesn't take too long to get away from the crowds around Wahweap, and I get to spend a couple hours cruising the lake with the wind in my face instead of droning along in the truck! That works really well since we usually boat-camp. It would be a different story if you wanted to camp out of your truck/motorhome/etc. In that case Hall's would be nice because it's much quieter and more laid back than Wahweap. I think there is even a hotel over at Bullfrog. Not sure how difficult it is getting reservations though. If this will be your first trip to Powell, be prepared to be amazed!
    -brian

91nordic29
    well all this info makes me feel alot better. i know it will be slow. i am just worried that the tranny will fall out in the middle of the road and we will be stuck with such a long rig on side (if there is a side) of the road. (tee hee) i will just have to take some kind of nerve pill before we start up the hills!!
    thanks for all info. would hate not to be able to have the powell experience just because i am a fradie cat!! eek!

Sleek-Jet
    The San Juan arm is really nice to camp in. What is that, a couple hour cruise up lake from Page?
    Halls would probably be a good 8 to 9 hour pull from Phoenix. There is a full service RV park, trailers to rent, and a basic campgound there as well. Bullfrog has a hotel and restaurant, but with the ferry service shut down, it would be 12 hour drive, easy, all the way around the lake.
    Like Doghouse said, the lake is truly amazing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast