Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First river trip...

Windy
    Beautiful Noise:
    I stayed at Echo Lodge back in 1973 Hey Steve,
    Do you know what/about year Echo opened? Echo Lodge rocks...cept for the sh^^y launch ramp.
    MissHBjet~

DUCKY
    I was too young to remember specifics, but I was about 18mos (1979-1980) old, and It was here in Havasu. We used to come over here and camp at Cattail Cove for 5-7 days.

Beautiful Noise
    MissHBjet,I'm not really sure i'd say early 60's,We use to Go with Family that had a Mobile Home then along with a bunch of Hawthorne Firemen.They use to have a Private Dock about 75 yard's up River from the Sh^^y Ramp (was back then also)Echo's a fun place we still have a freind that has a Mobile right by the Gas Dock,It just got to crowded for me after my Boat sank so I started staying at Castlerock last summer where we keep our trailer
    Steve

HotHallet
    First trip to Lake Mohave at 6 months old. That was the latter part of 1976 beginning of '77. My parents had their first 22 Schiada with a 351 Ford and Volvo drive. Tom Foolrey's parents own that boat now and my dad has another 22 Schiada with a 454 and Merc. It was my parents and two sisters in our old '22 and we camped. In 1980 folks bought a houseboat and moored it at Mohave in Catherine's Landing. I have boated most of my life at Lake Mohave and now my folks own a home in Boulder City, Nevada so it looks like Mead is going to be the place when I get a bigger boat down the line. Their houseboat is for sale if anyone is looking.

DogHouse
    Dad bought a metalflake green jet boat summer 1972 (I was 7) and we started going to MacIntyre Park almost every weekend. We'd either hang out in a big lagoon that was a few miles upstream or sometimes we'd go downstream and find a sandbar. Used to stay at the Best Western Tropics and have dinner at Don Julian's on Saturday nights. Those were some fun times...
    -brian

HotHallet
    I'm feeling ya on Blythe. McIntyre is my favorite place to go. I boated their almost all last summer.

DogHouse
    Sad thing is I haven't been back to the river with any of my own boats since getting back into boating 8 yrs ago. I've been sticking to the lakes and now the Magic might be a little big for Bythe. What are the biggest boats you see there now? I know they run some big stuff at Parker but as I recall Blythe can be shallow and narrow in spots.
    -brian

HotHallet
    Don't even think about it. blythe is way to shallow for your boat and inconsistent. You gotta have a jet or know the river super well. Never really seen anything over a 21-22 there. An occassional big boat will surface but they are brave.

mbrown2
    1978ish...stayed at the Winner Circle hotel, right next to Winner Circle Restaurant (now Paradise)...My dad had a 73 Southwind (Green/Teal Metal Flake)with 454BBC...we had a blast...after that trip we started to go down on a regular basis and stayed at Echo in the late 70's until the black-balled us...
    We brought my RM80 once, and ripped around the park...after that trip, we would call for reservation, they would say yeah we have an opening, your name.....Oh, I am sorry after checking we are booked...after that we started going to Havasu.

Back To Havasu
    You want to talk old fogie...my first trip to Havasu was in 1959 to race a Yellow-Jacket Boat. I was 13 and the Western Outboard Association hosted a 100 mile marathon Thanksgiving weekend at the Site Six (which consisted of a launch ramp, campsite, and general store). Lake Havasu City didn't come into existence until several years later. After leading the race for the first 90 miles, fuel pressure problems surfaced and cause a third place finish. Still have the trophy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast