Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: another boat theft

No strESSEX
    A couple years back I kept my boat stored at Baker Ranch, that is until my stainless prop was stolen. Not much security there. frown

Boatcop
    Do most of the motors have ID#s or any way of IDing them...if someone stole my motor i would have NO way of knowing if it were mine if it was recovered later!!!
    All engines, drives, lower units, gimble housings, etc. have distinctive serial numbers. The boat manufacturer has all this info on file. If you have another engine, drive, etc. installed, the shop should have this info on file, too.
    The numbers are crossed with the HIN (Hull ID Number) for recalls and warranty claims. Most claims only apply when the engine is still in the boat it was installed in.
    Note to boaters:
    Do NOT BUY ANY OF THESE COMPONENTS THAT DO NOT HAVE THE ORIGINAL SERIAL NUMBERS ATTACHED!
    Theives are replacing the serial number plates with blank ones, and claiming they are "remanufactured". It's BS. If they don't have the factory numbers on them, they are more than likely stolen. Also, if we, in the course of a routine examination, come across any engines, drives, etc. that don't have any numbers attached, we can seize the boat to investigate if the components are stolen. We don't like doing that, especially when the owner paid money for the parts. But, if someone pays $5,000 for a $35,000 engine, or $1,000 for a $10,000 Bravo drive, they have to KNOW that the thing is hot, and can also possibly be charged with receiving stolen property.
    If there wasn't a ready market for these parts, they wouldn't be getting stolen in such great numbers.
    You can also have any Mercury shop run the numbers on any used equipment you may want to buy. They are notified when an engine, drive, etc. is stolen, and have it flagged in their warranty computers.
    If you haven't done it already, go out and write down all those numbers off of YOUR boat.That way if they're jacked, we can list those items in the National Stolen Item computers, and they will come up if they are run, anywhere in the Country. It makes our job easier, and will result in a better chance of your stuff being recovered.
    [ March 15, 2003, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

Havasu Doug
    No strESSEX:
    A couple years back I kept my boat stored at Baker Ranch, that is until my stainless prop was stolen. Not much security there. What a small world No strESSEX. Trabuco Canyon is where I know this woman from. Do you ever go into the Albertson's there? My picture is on the wall less the "Havasu" title.

No strESSEX
    [/QUOTE]What a small world No strESSEX. Trabuco Canyon is where I know this woman from. Do you ever go into the Albertson's there? My picture is on the wall less the "Havasu" title. [/QB][/QUOTE]
    I have been in there a couple times. I actually live in Wagon Wheel Canyon, which has a Trabuco Canyon address. I'll have to come by and say hi!
    [ March 15, 2003, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: No strESSEX ]

78DiMarco
    Good advice Alan, log all the numbers off the boat!
    Dirtbags theives!! I hate them burningm burningm

78DiMarco
    Hey HD, nice website!!

Havasu Doug
    78DiMarco:
    Hey HD, nice website!! Thanks. It's hard to find the time to update it though because the boards over there take up so much of my online time.
    Thanks again,
    H.D.

Charley
    Once again this bullshit occurs...... ironically enough I spoke with Detective Elery the other day.... they are following some leads and it sounded like they might be getting close to something but that is me reading a little into what she was saying...

sanger mike
    Thats just wrong. hey maybe if they catch them the nice detective would let us take a WACK I mean help interegate at say $10.00 a WACK. I bet we could raise some money real fast. burningm

Mandelon
    What a small world. Do you ever go into the Albertson's there? My picture is on the wall less the "Havasu" title. [/QB]I was in the post office the other day, I think I saw it there too..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast