Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Out of control boat in Havasu

Riverhound
    Essex502:
    What's wrong with Halletts? Looking at future purchase...??? I beleive John had a less then favorable experiance with a bad tempered Hallett 27 wink

Outnumbered
    Good point RD I never realized how common this is and I've been around boats all my life. It just seemed like a freak accident to me. Maybe its not a bad idea to look into a lanyard/tether.
    OL

Essex502
    Riverhound:
    Essex502:
    What's wrong with Halletts? Looking at future purchase...??? I beleive John had a less then favorable experiance with a bad tempered Hallett 27 wink That's not good. Is it a trait typical to Hallett or something special about that one? I'd like to not have that kind of problem if I can avoid it.

Fat Chance
    Not to hijack the thread, but i'd like to hear more about the ill tempered 270. I'd heard rumors of his bad experience, but never the whole story. Haven't known any 270 owners with issues, although I do have a buddy that was pitched from his Eliminator 30' Eagle. What happened?? Drinking or not? How fast? How rough? Trim out, or to much negative trim? Driving conservative, or pushin' on the way home from the Sand Bar? I'm curious.

SUPERCREWJOHN
    Fat Chance:
    Not to hijack the thread, but i'd like to hear more about the ill tempered 270. I'd heard rumors of his bad experience, but never the whole story. Haven't known any 270 owners with issues, although I do have a buddy that was pitched from his Eliminator 30' Eagle. What happened?? Drinking or not? How fast? How rough? Trim out, or to much negative trim? Driving conservative, or pushin' on the way home from the Sand Bar? I'm curious. Without going into all the gory details about the incident, I was on a test drive of the Hallet 270 S, in fact the same one that was in last months Powerboat Mag which had been repowered with the PHaff engines from the HP500, on Lake Castaic Sept 23, 2001 at around 8 am in the morning. During the course of the test we changed a couple of different props to determine which was going to be optimal for the up coming Powerboat review.
    As we appoached the North West portion of the Lake at around 50 Mph and closed toward the bouy's we took a moderately hard left turn. In the middle of the turn the boat rocked to the the outside, quicky rocked back to the inside and ejected all four occupants of the boat into the water of Lake Castaic,
    I sustained a broken right femur which required a 22" titanium rod, and screw, and a week in the hospital with lots of cute nurses and plenty of good morphine
    There is an old HB thread that descibes the incident in detail

TCHB
    Over at Havasu Landing we saw a 21 Eliminator throw the people out and the boat was spinning cirles for about hour. Finally a kid jumped jumped and swam into the inner circle. He watched the boat go around and jumped onto the side and pulled him self in and shut the throttle down. It was a jet boat. That guy owned that kid big time.

Essex502
    Can't find the old HB thread on the Hallett experience - musta' been too old to keep active. HB must need the disk space.
    What do you think the issue was? Bad design? Driver error?

andy01
    Essex502:
    Can't find the old HB thread on the Hallett experience - musta' been too old to keep active. HB must need the disk space.
    What do you think the issue was? Bad design? Driver error? Design, from what I have heard they had a bigger boat do it not to long ago.

SUPERCREWJOHN
    racingrascal:
    Essex502:
    What do you think the issue was? Bad design? Driver error? Design, from what I have heard they had a bigger boat do it not to long ago. I think you might be right on the thread. I was trying to find it last They had a new 36 hit an island or something like that on Lake Meade.
    As far as the cause, in this case I would say design flaw. This hull IMHO requires caution when turning because it does not appear to be running really loose like many step-hulls do so I believe most people will mis interpet the feedback provided by the hull.
    Do get me wrong on Hallett though still make a great boat, and with the exception of Jerry Barron and the old man still have great people,
    they just need to be a bit less arrogant and realize that there is not a big quality difference in this market with the rise of places like DCB,ULTRA, and the best of the best SCHIADA..

Essex502
    We're considering the Hallett 260 (jury's out until we see some reviews) and the Howard 25 Bullet. 27' might not fit in the garage anyway until we build the next house.
    I have read and heard there are handling quirks with stepped hulls and now you guys have me worried!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast