Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Wet Logs - can you port them?

78DiMarco
    Has anyone ported the wetlogs that are used on the late 70's Gale Banks Twin Turbo setup? I'm in the process of rebuilding my motor and I see the ports on the wetlogs don't match the heads very well. If it is possible without removing to much material near the water jackets I would like to get the ports to match beter to the heads. Would a sonic check for wall thickness tell me where I can remove material? I'm not sure where the water jackets are in proportion to the exaust inlet on the wetlog.
    I looked at getting some headers made but everyone tells me it will cost an arm and a leg ($4 to 10K) for custom stainless water jacked. I understand the expense in manufacturing so my next option is to open the ports a bit or live with them as they are. Since I'm going to have a bit more displacement (509ci) I want to make it breath the best I can.
    Any suggestions are welcome. If anyone has interest I can post an image later to show what I'm describing. Thanks

obnoxious001
    You will still have the smaller Rajay turbos limiting performance on the 509 cu in engine. If you are looking for power gains, consider finding a Gentry system and selling yours. Not only will the exhaust flow better, you would have larger turbos and a larger intercooler.

Red Rocket
    I have a 532 CI old style Gale Banks set up with standard manifolds and the Rayjay turbos and was able to make 1000 plus hp. I dont think the manifolds will hold you back

78DiMarco
    Did you port the wet logs on your motor?

78DiMarco
    What heads are you using? Are you running a boost referenced fuel system and an MSD boost retard? I'm assuming you are running a single carb if you have a Banks setup, if so what CFM did you go with?
    Sorry for all the questions but it sound like a pretty stout setup you have.
    I have not decided on the carb yet. I was running an 850 and I'll need a little more with the 509 over the 454. I'm using Merlin III R heads that should help.
    I want to run a reverse flow cooling but need help on the plumbing. I'll check with Wilkes to see how he ran his. I'm going with the boost reference fuel and boost retard so I don't get the lean out at the top end that is typical for the standard Gale Banks setup. They run great if you don't stand on them too hard, but then that would'nt be any fun now would it?
    Thanks for the input guys!

billet racing
    I've looked at that as well. My turbos exhaust is the restriction. Not getting over 6,000 rpms at the top end. Still building 15-18 lbs boost. We are getting to much back pressure to let the engine breath. Changing the exhaust housing to help with this. I did some clearence work to match the exhaust log exit to turbo housing. Less than 1/8 inch at the most. also I am not running logs, but center risers.
    Using two Holly 750's. I think a single carb is not enouph. you may get it to flow enouph air by sucking real hard on it, but the carb fuel passages and jets may not be able to keep up with the flow.
    Jerry

texas-19
    78,i think i've got the same situation as you.My turbos are kinda small(i know turbonova won't think much of them)and the exhaust will be restrictive also.My log outlets are small compared to the turbo flange.I know on the outlet of the logs their is not much room to open it up,don't think enough to do much good.I'd like to see a picture of how yours are set up.I was going to run a carb for each turbo but now i'm going with efi.May have some good carbs and bowls they sit on for sale.It's my first turbo set up so this will have to be good enough for now.Here is a picture of one side early on.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...turbo3-med.jpg

schiada96
    78,i think i've got the same situation as you.My turbos are kinda small(i know turbonova won't think much of them)and the exhaust will be restrictive also.My log outlets are small compared to the turbo flange.I know on the outlet of the logs their is not much room to open it up,don't think enough to do much good.I'd like to see a picture of how yours are set up.I was going to run a carb for each turbo but now i'm going with efi.May have some good carbs and bowls they sit on for sale.It's my first turbo set up so this will have to be good enough for now.Here is a picture of one side early on.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...turbo3-med.jpg
    That will work well just getting the fuel out of the turbos will help, are those tO4's

MKEELINE
    I think there is used turbo system for sale in the spam section. It doesn't look like it's water jacketed, but it maybe worth a look.

texas-19
    That will work well just getting the fuel out of the turbos will help, are those tO4's
    They are 60-1's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast