Thread: Havasu Homeowners?

RiverReady2
    I have been thinking about buying a place in Havasu and renting it out. What I want to do is be able to rent it out to vacationers in the summer for weekends and weeks at a time and to snowbirds in the winter. I also want to be able to use it when I want. I was thinking there must be some type of property managment company that can do this? I was also thinking in the summer month if your house is rented out adleast half the time there must also be money to be made? I'm thinking a house rental must start around 700-800 a week in the summer? Is there any of you guys that do anything like this are know sombody who does that could give me some more info and feed back? Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help you can give me.
    -Justin

SDLifesaver
    Justin, your idea is good but the numbers are way off. We get between 75 and 100 per night for our house and it is BRAND NEW. Maybe 350 to 400 a week in the summer is going rate. The property management places in Havasu get 10% of what you get for rental plus a start up fee. Your better off putting an add in the white sheet and getting a reliable couple in the winter that returns every year. Our friends get 1200.00 per month in the winter for 5 months. You have to remember that hotels are cheap still, so you can't ask to much or you will get no business. The closer to the water you are, the more ammenities you have to offer, cable tv, pool, spa, parking, rv access, washer, dryer, RO water, softener, landscape, the more money you can ask. There are alot of established houses for rent already so it takes some work. Buy quick though because the prices are sky rocketing. We have seen almost 100 thousand in equity since we bought a year and a half ago. Good luck.

locogringo
    SDLifesaver:
    Justin, your idea is good but the numbers are way off. We get between 75 and 100 per night for our house and it is BRAND NEW. Maybe 350 to 400 a week in the summer is going rate. Going rate is actually 160 a night in the summer. $1200 per week or $1600 per month. This is what the agencies quote and what they get. Same applies towards winter rentals.
    This is what we have been getting when we do rent out our house there through them.

RiverReady2
    Thanks for the help guys. If anybody else has more info and feedback please share it thanks.
    -Justin
    [ October 13, 2003, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: RiverReady2 ]

hd&boatrider
    RiverReady2:
    Thanks for the help guys. If anybody else has more info and feedback please share it thanks.
    -Justin You might want to PM Nodigg about this one....

RiverReady2
    C'mon I know there is more people that own houses in Havasu?

Floatin'
    We bought a 3 bd, 2 ba 1400 sq. ft. house in a cul de sac in March of this year with the intention of leasing it out. It took 3 months to find a renter and we have a 6 month lease. I get $ 675.00 per month and that covers our nut. I did not want to rent out to weekenders and snowbirds because the cost of having to furnish the place and the wear and tear on the home. You can charge more doing the weekender thing but I would rather have a good full timer in there paying my mortgage off for me so in 10 years I can remodel and have a nice retirement home. I used www.brentandmichele.com Sign up for their weekly updates and you will get all the new listings every week.
    Good Luck.

summerlove
    Weekenders do a number on your place, snow birds treat it better than you do. The rent on a 3bd 2 ba house, that is furnished and NICE (not a dump or close to it) is about 1500-1750/mo, less any broker comission.
    When I had my condo I rented to weekenders and they trashed the place. I was always getting the carpet cleaned, replacing small appliances (like blenders and toasters??), and had the police there a few times. Replaced a smashed in door (guy and GF got into a fight and she locked herself in the bathroom) and had to repaint due to blood stains.
    Snowbirds, on the other hand, actually buy and leave things there for next year. They take really good care of the place, and it is more valuable if you have motorhome hookups.
    Also, with weekenders, i wouldn't leave any personal belongings, especially my boat or other marine equipment - Midnight boat supply! Snowbirds will wax it for you every week....
    good luck