Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Poker Run

boat030
    Wow what a great time our group had, kudos to everyone that puts this deal on. I have to tell a little story here that will make you suprised that we still had a good time but it will show you what an awesome event this is that after everything we went through I still can't wait for the spring run. A couple of weeks before we were suppose to leave for Havasu we had some engine trouble at our home lake, lake Nacimiento. After alot of investigating we found the motor had to be pulled and completely rebuilt, we had lost a lifter, valve spring and the cam, we were also running it a little lean and we had beat up one cylinder pretty bad. On the Wed. before the poker run we had gotten all the parts back except the cam so we began to re-assemble the motor on thurs. the new cam arrived. Thurs. night we worked on the motor all night we put it in the boat at 3:00 am on friday morning and fired it at about 9:00 am friday morning (I had to take a break between 6am and 8am to check in at work) after fixing a couple of minor problems we left for havasu at about 11:30 am. we arrived friday night at about 7pm, just in time to register for the poker run and catch up on some much needed sleep. We put the boat back in the water for the first time at 9:30 on sat. morning we took a quick test run and everything seemed to be in order(I must admit I was a little suprised about that). We lined up with the first group against most peoples advice, I guess nobody thought the little 26' could handle the water with the big boys, but actually it was relatively smooth. We ran right behind the front guys in the pack which was a pretty awesome sight, all you could see was spray, we couldn't figure out why the pace boat still had the flag up after the big guns had already gone by but we just chalked it up to inexperience on our part, anyway about 2 0r 3 minutes in the motor started running really hot and steam started coming out of the engine cover turns out I didn't tighten the main water intake hose on tight enough(I'm glad I did that one myself) so we stopped and fixed that, luckily some nice people on a pontoon boat had the right wrench, thanks, we made it another another 5 minutes or so and then in a stupid attempt to catch up i got the boat airborne at approx. 100mph the motor hit the 8000rpm rev limiter right as we landed and as you can imagine the drive let go pretty quick. so that was the end of our run before we even made it too the first card stop. One of the very cool tow boats from the poker run towed us back to thompson bay where we spent the rest of the day partying pretty hard as spectators including getting a front row seat to the second start. we met up with Jackpunx and his group there and he gave me a ride in his stoker, that thing is hella quick.
    I want to thank a couple people for helping me to get there on such short notice. first of all Danny Roslan at Roslan Performance Motorsports he put in a couple real late nights helping with the stuff that was over my head. Bullett Cams they got us a custom ground cam way quicker than we could have expected. and most important all the guys that helped work on the boat in my shop, working as hard as you guys did for nothing but the satisfaction of getting it done was unbelievable.
    Sorry for being so long winded, but I really wanted to tell this story, and again I can't wait for spring, I was really hoping to have the first single engine boat to the first card stop, but I will have to try again in the spring.

jbtrailerjim
    Good story... Sorry to hear about your outdrive though. I saw you getting towed back on Saturday.

al cole'holic
    ..good story even considering the f'd up day! Check this out, Thursday night I ran out of gas in the new truck on the way up and waited 4 damn hours for a tow truck to bring me gas on the 40, then Saturday my pig died out on the water in the early evening and some dude in a Hallett shows up and asks if I need a little help....TROY PERCIVAL from the Angels! "What up Percy!"
    The good with the bad I guess...

Up 4 River
    It was a great weekend even if it was a tough one. Saturday morning we went out skiing at about 7am. Got the ski, vest, gloves and everything on and then the boat wont start. We sit there and mess with it for about 25 minutes and then it starts. Never figured out what it was, but think it was some bad gas left over from Labor Day. We get back and as my passenger is getting out of the boat he slips on the bow and falls right on my windshield. A piece of my windshield breaks off and falls into the water. I was able to screw it back in, but will need to replace the whole piece this winter. We ate a late lunch at Topac and I have a friend who doesn't drink and he is a river guy. He offers to drive the boat for the rest of the day and I get to have my first cocktail at about 3pm. We have some mudslides and eats up there and then cruise back about 4:30pm. We ran out of gas on the way back through the Gorge. We got towed to the Sandbar which didn't have to many people left on it and found a guy who let me borrow a oil pump that he uses for gas. I then meet a really nice group of guys in an Ultra and Shockwave who let me pump gas into my tank. We stop after about 25 minutes and hope we have enough to get back. The sun was setting as we entered the Lake and I was pretty stocked we made it back on that gas. All of a sudden the driver realizes the water level has dropped going through the mouth and Bam! We're stuck on a Sandbar and we need to get out and push. I didn't even look at my outdrive ebcause I didn't want to know the damage. We oushed off and then got home at dark safe and sound. My buddy could have never imagined what he was getting into when he offered to be the DD.
    We got back safe, the outdrive has no damage, and we met some good river people who helped us out. They wouldn't take any money, and said that if this ever happeneds to them they know there good becasue they helped us. What a weekend. Just wish I could have met Percy and gooten towed by him.

dimarcobros
    Up 4 River:
    It was a great weekend even if it was a tough one. Saturday morning we went out skiing at about 7am. Got the ski, vest, gloves and everything on and then the boat wont start. We sit there and mess with it for about 25 minutes and then it starts. Never figured out what it was, but think it was some bad gas left over from Labor Day. We get back and as my passenger is getting out of the boat he slips on the bow and falls right on my windshield. A piece of my windshield breaks off and falls into the water. I was able to screw it back in, but will need to replace the whole piece this winter. We ate a late lunch at Topac and I have a friend who doesn't drink and he is a river guy. He offers to drive the boat for the rest of the day and I get to have my first cocktail at about 3pm. We have some mudslides and eats up there and then cruise back about 4:30pm. We ran out of gas on the way back through the Gorge. We got towed to the Sandbar which didn't have to many people left on it and found a guy who let me borrow a oil pump that he uses for gas. I then meet a really nice group of guys in an Ultra and Shockwave who let me pump gas into my tank. We stop after about 25 minutes and hope we have enough to get back. The sun was setting as we entered the Lake and I was pretty stocked we made it back on that gas. All of a sudden the driver realizes the water level has dropped going through the mouth and Bam! We're stuck on a Sandbar and we need to get out and push. I didn't even look at my outdrive ebcause I didn't want to know the damage. We oushed off and then got home at dark safe and sound. My buddy could have never imagined what he was getting into when he offered to be the DD.
    We got back safe, the outdrive has no damage, and we met some good river people who helped us out. They wouldn't take any money, and said that if this ever happeneds to them they know there good becasue they helped us. What a weekend. Just wish I could have met Percy and gooten towed by him. LOL...very well put, especially about the idiot who fell and broke your windshield. cry cry wink
    DMB

Robbie Racer
    Mike, great story. I was wondering how you did. Your story of thrashing on the motor all night just before a big event sounds like the good ole IHBA days in 2000, huh. I can relate to your broken drive problem as the same thing happened to me at the Spring Heatwave when I went over a big wake at 100+ and didn't get out of the throttle in time. I guess we drag boat guys just aren't used to going fast in rough water. Did you figure out yet what broke in the drive? On mine it was either the prop shaft or the vertical shaft, can't remember which one for certain. Thanks again for the great story.

jackpunx
    We saw boat 030 (mike) on the way to pick up our second card.. Stopped checked on them.. We decided to pick up the next card then come back and tow them back up.. When we got there.. they already had a hook up.. So... End of day comes.. We are getting ready to go back and turn our cards in.. Mike is sitting there in the 5mph zone with his family on his broken boat having beers and totally enjoying the rest of his day.. I laughed my ass off when I pulled up.. I asked him if he wanted to get towed in .. He say's .. HELL NO!.. so I dropped my people off on his boat and we went for a ride in mine.. I must say.. This is a true boater..lol.. Good guy,we had a good time..

C-2
    Up 4 River:
    We got back safe, the outdrive has no damage, and we met some good river people who helped us out. They wouldn't take any money, and said that if this ever happeneds to them they know there good becasue they helped us. What a weekend. Just wish I could have met Percy and gooten towed by him. Sucks about your windshield. We ran the SCOPE poker run in the ocean in our 210 and the boat flexed so hard, it snapped a piece of the side windshield at the bottom joint. eek! eek! You have to take the boat in to have a new one fitted.
    What year is your boat, motor, how long you had it?

Up 4 River
    Yeah it's to bad about the windshield, but those things happen. It's a 1992 210 closed bow that I bought this past January. It was sitting in the channel in front of the Isles this past weekend. I saw you a couple times and once in the channel, but you were looking the other way and didn't see my wave. Oh well, good thing about the river is there's always next time.

Sublime
    boat030:
    Wow what a great time our group had, kudos to everyone that puts this deal on. I have to tell a little story here that will make you suprised that we still had a good time but it will show you what an awesome event this is that after everything we went through I still can't wait for the spring run. A couple of weeks before we were suppose to leave for Havasu we had some engine trouble at our home lake, lake Nacimiento. After alot of investigating we found the motor had to be pulled and completely rebuilt, we had lost a lifter, valve spring and the cam, we were also running it a little lean and we had beat up one cylinder pretty bad. On the Wed. before the poker run we had gotten all the parts back except the cam so we began to re-assemble the motor on thurs. the new cam arrived. Thurs. night we worked on the motor all night we put it in the boat at 3:00 am on friday morning and fired it at about 9:00 am friday morning (I had to take a break between 6am and 8am to check in at work) after fixing a couple of minor problems we left for havasu at about 11:30 am. we arrived friday night at about 7pm, just in time to register for the poker run and catch up on some much needed sleep. We put the boat back in the water for the first time at 9:30 on sat. morning we took a quick test run and everything seemed to be in order(I must admit I was a little suprised about that). We lined up with the first group against most peoples advice, I guess nobody thought the little 26' could handle the water with the big boys, but actually it was relatively smooth. We ran right behind the front guys in the pack which was a pretty awesome sight, all you could see was spray, we couldn't figure out why the pace boat still had the flag up after the big guns had already gone by but we just chalked it up to inexperience on our part, anyway about 2 0r 3 minutes in the motor started running really hot and steam started coming out of the engine cover turns out I didn't tighten the main water intake hose on tight enough(I'm glad I did that one myself) so we stopped and fixed that, luckily some nice people on a pontoon boat had the right wrench, thanks, we made it another another 5 minutes or so and then in a stupid attempt to catch up i got the boat airborne at approx. 100mph the motor hit the 8000rpm rev limiter right as we landed and as you can imagine the drive let go pretty quick. so that was the end of our run before we even made it too the first card stop. One of the very cool tow boats from the poker run towed us back to thompson bay where we spent the rest of the day partying pretty hard as spectators including getting a front row seat to the second start. we met up with Jackpunx and his group there and he gave me a ride in his stoker, that thing is hella quick.
    I want to thank a couple people for helping me to get there on such short notice. first of all Danny Roslan at Roslan Performance Motorsports he put in a couple real late nights helping with the stuff that was over my head. Bullett Cams they got us a custom ground cam way quicker than we could have expected. and most important all the guys that helped work on the boat in my shop, working as hard as you guys did for nothing but the satisfaction of getting it done was unbelievable.
    Sorry for being so long winded, but I really wanted to tell this story, and again I can't wait for spring, I was really hoping to have the first single engine boat to the first card stop, but I will have to try again in the spring. Hey 030, Brian with EBA was the one who towed you back. I was on the boat with him and got this pick for ya !! [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=30878[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast