Thread: Checkmate

Posey
    I was wanting to know if anybody had any experience with checkmate boats? I tried out 2 different 270BR's 1st was a small block and it seemed to run out ok, 2nd was a big block and it porposed. I was wondering if it was a weight factor or poor design in hull. I like the boat but don't need any problems. Any feed back?
    Thanks,
    Posey

WATERROCKET
    Posey, Did both boats have power trim? And did you have the big block trimed down?

Posey
    Waterrocket,
    Yes, both had trim tabs and the outdrive was trimmed down. I realize trim tabs can cure the problem but if the hull and balance is correct it won't porpose. If you run WFO trim tabs are just a drag. Trim tabs are for leveling and rough water. I think if everything is right all you need is trim on the out drive.
    Thanks for the reply, have you had any experience with Checkmate?
    Posey

WATERROCKET
    No. Baja's and Chris Crafts are all I have had with no problems like that. Do you have the problem at topend also?

Posey
    Waterrocket,
    Sorry I'm just now getting back with you. The big block finally quite porposing at WFO! I've been in some Baja's that the faster you went the worse they porposed. I think it a balance thing, especially with big blocks in shorter boats. I had a '92 270 Baja with a 502, a sweet boat, no problems with it.