Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Boat Club - Indiana Chapter!

HavasuDreamin'
    Well, I attended a very interesting meeting over the weekend up in Ft. Wayne, IN. A guy by the name of Brad Collins is trying to put together a hot boat club in Indiana on a GRAND SCALE. For those who don't know, Brad Collins was the founder and former owner of "Mirage Boats of Texas." For those who don't know what a Mirage is, it is a light weight, kick a** tunnel boat that tore up Mod-Vp Racing for a while and now is highly competitive in the O/B drags. To say the least, Brad is very "connected" in the industry and now resides near Southbend, IN.
    After attending the meeting, it became clear that Brad has a vision. It also became clear that he has the means to make his vision a reality. This isn't going to be a bunch of guys getting togehter a few times a year and terrorizing the water ways (not that there is anything wrong with that). Rather, the idea is to develop a performance oriented boat club (boats mainly smaller than 25', not that bigger boats can't attend) that is family oriented and highly organized. One event will be scheduled every month except December with cold month events being factory tours, or boat shows, swap meets, etc.
    Brad's vision is to get a club going here in Indiana with the hopes that other regions might follow suit (ie: Wisconsin Chapter, or Texas Chapter, etc.). He is talking about a national club with possible backing from the APBA, as well as other performance oriented marine organizations. The idea is GRAND.
    The main focus of the meeting held on Sunday was to throw around some ideas, talk about liability insurance, possible sponsors for events, officer election, etc. About 20 people showed for the first meeting. More expressed interest but could not make it for a variety of reasons. I anticipate more than 100 members without too much trouble in our first year.
    For any of you interested in attending a meeting or finding out more, please post a message, I check the board frequently!

superV
    ID BE INTERESTED BUT IM IN ST.LOUIS?

HavasuDreamin'
    superV:
    ID BE INTERESTED BUT IM IN ST.LOUIS? There will be people coming from that far. In fact one of the guys from the meeting was from central IL. We are talking about having an event up at Blarney's Island on the Fox River Chain O' Lakes (northern IL). I guess you would be too far away to attend some of the preliminary meetings, but if you would like, I believe the next meeting is scheduled for Sunday, March 2, 2003 in Ft. Wayne.
    I'll keep the thread up to date for all those who might be interested, but can't make the meetings.

kphayes
    This sounds great! I wish we had something like this in my area.(Chain-O-Lakes) It would be much appreciated to read more about this and up coming events that you would have. I would definitly like to jump in if you guys head up this way. Keep me in mind if there is some info that you might need from my area for setting something up in this neck of the woods.

HavasuDreamin'
    kphayes:
    This sounds great! I wish we had something like this in my area.(Chain-O-Lakes) It would be much appreciated to read more about this and up coming events that you would have. I would definitly like to jump in if you guys head up this way. Keep me in mind if there is some info that you might need from my area for setting something up in this neck of the woods. Kphayes.........there were a number of gents at the first meeting from the chain O lakes. Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of rigs they run, so I don't know if you will know them or not?
    Anyway, I anticipate an annual event up at the chain O lakes for sure, it is such a great place to boat. The question is will it happen this year or next. Also, it might be a Thursday & Friday sort of thing since the chain gets real rough for the small boats on the weekend.
    At any rate, you can either jump right in or wait around and scope it out when we come up to your neck of the woods. One thing is for sure, there will be a couple of events through out the year that you don't want to miss! The first that comes to my mind is a potential date up at Hardee Damn (25 miles north of Grand Rapids, MI). You would have an absolute ball with your boat up there. 17 + miles of the most scenic river you will find in this part of the country. There are a LOT of hot boats up there too.
    Keep an eye on this thread, I will be posting all pertinet information here!

Clown
    Sounds Cool
    BUT HARDEY DAMM
    "Gets rough"
    I could not go over 90mph without being hammered to death and the POOR BOAT thats another story!

1973 Hondo
    I am in Columbus Indiana and would be very interested!!! wink

Blown509Liberator
    Chain o lakes in my back yard. I am up for that!
    MikeW

HavasuDreamin'
    Good Deal. The club is in the midst of organization right now and we are planning a schedule of events for this year. I will post the schedule once it has been finalized and keep everyone up to date!

superV
    Sweet Kepp up the good work and let us know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast