Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Witnessed a motorcycle accident today - saw a guy get killed

MagicMtnDan
    I was driving back from lunch in Burbank passing the Virgin Records store and In-N-Out Burger on tthe two lane street. A guy on a Yamaha (cruiser bike) passed me too quickly and moved back into my (right) lane swerving too far to the right. Just then the road curves back to the left in front of El Pollo Loco. I watch in disbelief as the guy hit the curb at an angle and his bike traveled along it. He was leaning over on his bike as it went along the curb and suddenly his face hit a tree! He pin-wheeled off his bike landing on the sidewalk on his back. He had an open-face helmet on but that didn't help him today.
    We jumped out of my truck and I dialed 911 (got a recording saying it's busy - note to everyone - enter your local PD phone numbers into your phone so you can get ahold of someone in an emergency). My buddy ran into El Pollo Loco - he eats there occasionally and knows he sees cops there. Sure enough one was in there and he came running out.
    I directed traffic and then went over to the guy (my other buddy was with him). He was in real bad shape - unconscious, big, ugly laceration opened up his chin - he had blood on his face...
    I told my friend not to move him and I called out loudly to the guy to see if he could hear me/respond. He wasn't doing well and I could hear blood flowing. Next thing I know he tries to breathe and blood pours out of his mouth and nose.
    The cop comes over and looks at him while calling for an ambulance. Ten-plus cops show up from all directions. The road's closed. The ambulance shows up - the paramedics try to get him breathing but I don't see his chest move at all.
    The poor guy looked to be 40+ years old. We saw him pass us and hit/slide along the curb. It was his last moments of life. Somewhere his family is devastated. He was in a hurry to get somewhere and now he's gone.
    We were interviewed extensively by the police. I had to re-trace the entire event and there was lots of spray painting done on the street to mark every position. They checked his bike (it was relatively unscathed - it was re-started by the police and they checked - it was in 4th gear!). He was going too fast and he was very unlucky. I'm sure he was trying to get away from the curb instead of nailing his brakes.
    It was an ugly thing to witness (the accident) and tragic to see a man lose his life right in front of me. All alone on the sidewalk in Burbank.
    Life is so very precious and our time here seems so short. I hope I never see something like this again. And I hope that none of you do either.
    Today was not a good day.
    -Dan

wsuwrhr
    I ride a bike Dan.
    I appreciate your compassion. anyone loosing their life like that is tragic.
    I told my family when I got a bike(this is years before I got married) that if I got killed on it, I died doing what I loved.
    I have a friend killed on a bike, before helmet laws were in effect. I rode with a helmet then, and I did after. Full face. Always.
    For your own sake, what did the Police say to you?
    You may want to check into a lawyer, just in case the family's lawyer decides somehow YOU caused him to get out of control, considering the fatality.
    You never know in this world nowadays. Protect what you have.
    Just my .02 bud.
    Brian
    [ June 17, 2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

wsuwrhr
    I hate to be such a callous asshole, after reading your post a second time, I am still worried about the aftermath for you. Don't forget if there weren't any other witnesses, your account could be very well be picked to peices. think about what I said in the earlier post.
    Just my two pennies worth.
    Brian
    [ June 17, 2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

FMluvswater
    Whoa that is awful. For his family and for you too. What a horrific thing to have been a witness to. Sounds like you did everything you could to get the guy some help. We never know how we'll react in those situations until they happen. You reacted well despite how that must have felt. I really don't know what else to say except that you done good under awful circumstances. Take care MMD.
    ~FM

River Ric
    I saw and accident like that on the way home from Needles last year. Young girl driving her parents Mercedes SUV. They were asleep with no seat belts on. She lost control doing 85 plus and rolled it 8 or 9 times. Both of parents were ejected and rolled over by the SUV. She was bruised a little but ok. I heard from a friend(CHP)that both died later at the hospital from massive internal injuries. I drive 1000 miles a week for my sales job. I tell my wife everyday that I will see her when I get home. That is the only important thing. Nothing is so important that you need to go that fast. Lfe is to short. Keep those seat belts on. My dads best friend was a CHP with 30 years on the Job. He said that he never pulled a dead body outr of seat belt. Says something dosen't it. Be safe and Kiss your wife and kids every day. wink

MagicMtnDan
    wsuwrhr:
    I hate to be such a callous asshole, after reading your post a second time, I am still worried about the aftermath for you. Don't forget if there weren't any other witnesses, your account could be very well be picked to peices. think about what I said in the earlier post.
    Just my two pennies worth.
    Brian Thanks for your concern Brian! I appreciate it.
    I had two guys that I work with in my truck and the three of us were the only witnesses to the accident.
    We didn't touch the guy - there wasn't anything we could do for him except call the police, direct traffic and try to get him to fight for his life.
    I realize that there's always the potential for lawsuits. But I'm hoping that that wont' be a consideration for his family. I/we had nothing to do with it except for being in the vehicle he passed at a high rate of speed.
    The only way this tragedy could be worse is if his family sued me/us.
    I'm sure I won't sleep well at all tonight. I keep seeing this poor guy's face...lying there on the sidewalk...

Eric455
    i work in the city of burbank. and i kno exatcly where it happened. its is a sharp turn and if u are not familiar with the area then u have to be carefull. sorry to hear these kinds of stories. hope you menatlly feel better. this is one scene none of us should experience. and abot the lawyer thing i think that is a good idea. i call it "CYA" (cover your ass)
    eric

Eric455
    I'm sure I won't sleep well at all tonight. I keep seeing this poor guy's face...lying there on the sidewalk...
    ohh man i really feel bad for you. i know how it feels i've been in ur shoes before. jst try to think abut something els. watch a movie, spend time with someone. talk to someone, dont keep it inside u it will only make it worse. i saw my brother inlaws dad after he was shot in da head. not a preety scene but we have to deal with it. hope you feel better. do you work/live in burbank?
    eric

MagicMtnDan
    Eric455:
    [b]do you work/live in burbank?
    eric I work in Burbank, just off Victory, near the Costco, at a high-tech start-up.
    I live in Sylmar, about 16 miles away.

Kurtis500
    Wow magicmountaindan. I feel for you. I have 12 years as a fireman here in the phx area and have seen that scenario quite a bit in various forms. Each one is equally tragic. Of course each person has someone who cared about them. Its astounding how something like speeding, running a red light, or blowing a stop sign can change peoples lives and/or end some others. Something we have all done.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast