I was driving back from lunch in Burbank passing the Virgin Records store and In-N-Out Burger on tthe two lane street. A guy on a Yamaha (cruiser bike) passed me too quickly and moved back into my (right) lane swerving too far to the right. Just then the road curves back to the left in front of El Pollo Loco. I watch in disbelief as the guy hit the curb at an angle and his bike traveled along it. He was leaning over on his bike as it went along the curb and suddenly his face hit a tree! He pin-wheeled off his bike landing on the sidewalk on his back. He had an open-face helmet on but that didn't help him today.
We jumped out of my truck and I dialed 911 (got a recording saying it's busy - note to everyone - enter your local PD phone numbers into your phone so you can get ahold of someone in an emergency). My buddy ran into El Pollo Loco - he eats there occasionally and knows he sees cops there. Sure enough one was in there and he came running out.
I directed traffic and then went over to the guy (my other buddy was with him). He was in real bad shape - unconscious, big, ugly laceration opened up his chin - he had blood on his face...
I told my friend not to move him and I called out loudly to the guy to see if he could hear me/respond. He wasn't doing well and I could hear blood flowing. Next thing I know he tries to breathe and blood pours out of his mouth and nose.
The cop comes over and looks at him while calling for an ambulance. Ten-plus cops show up from all directions. The road's closed. The ambulance shows up - the paramedics try to get him breathing but I don't see his chest move at all.
The poor guy looked to be 40+ years old. We saw him pass us and hit/slide along the curb. It was his last moments of life. Somewhere his family is devastated. He was in a hurry to get somewhere and now he's gone.
We were interviewed extensively by the police. I had to re-trace the entire event and there was lots of spray painting done on the street to mark every position. They checked his bike (it was relatively unscathed - it was re-started by the police and they checked - it was in 4th gear!). He was going too fast and he was very unlucky. I'm sure he was trying to get away from the curb instead of nailing his brakes.
It was an ugly thing to witness (the accident) and tragic to see a man lose his life right in front of me. All alone on the sidewalk in Burbank.
Life is so very precious and our time here seems so short. I hope I never see something like this again. And I hope that none of you do either.
Today was not a good day.
-Dan