Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Witnessed a motorcycle accident today - saw a guy get killed

Windy
    MagicMtnDan:
    We didn't touch the guy - there wasn't anything we could do for him except call the police, direct traffic and try to get him to fight for his life.
    You did the right thing...He could have had a spinal injury and moving him without c spine immoblization could cause paralysis...That is if he were to survive.
    Im so sorry to hear this, my prayers are with you and the victims family.

hd&boatrider
    I ride a Harley and try to be careful but WTF! Sorry for the family and hope that he did not have any little ones. I took out quite a lot of accidenatal death insurance for my son...just in case. If it happens **** it...I can't change the consequences of my life. I will live it the way it is dealt. One of my friends asked me recently why I haven't been killed yet...I don't know. When your time comes it comes. I am not a religous person but may god be with his family
    [ June 18, 2003, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: hd&boatrider ]

91nordic29
    magicmtndan-- i hope you got some sleep and are feeling a smidgeon better today. tell your friends that were with you that we are all thinking of you all.
    cyn
    [ June 18, 2003, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: 91nordic29 ]

THOR
    Damn Dan, that is never a good thing to see. I feel for you and the decedent's family. frown

Seadog
    Experiencing the violent death of another is something no normal human forgets. After a while, the mind will suppress the memory, but it will still pop up at times. This is nature's way of teaching us to respect death and is normal. I would suggest that you quietly attend the funeral. Often that will give closure.

nodigg
    I feel for you for having to witness something so horrific and hope you will not be scarred by something you had no control over. I feel the most sadness for the family and friends of the victim. They are the ones that will suffer the enduring pain of such a loss. I left the world of motorcycles for a long time while I raised a family and worked to earn a living for them. Now that I am older I have once again taken up motorcycling. I had forgotten how much pleasure I drive from riding. I am now very respectful of the dangers of riding but my family knows that if I were to die because an accident while riding I would have died doing something that gives me joy. I would hope that no one would be looking for an excuse to make money from any accident I might be involved in and that you will not be involved in that way either.
    [ June 18, 2003, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: nodigg ]

Mrs Scuba
    I feel for you and I am sorry that you had to be a witness to this.
    What I always do before I leave home is I always tell Scuba that I love him and give him a kiss, no matter what, even if we have had an argument. It would kill me to know that the day that I did not tell Steve that I love him might be the last time I see him if something were to happen. My thoughts are with you and the family.

eliminatedsprinter
    Wow
    Thats rough. As far as you needing legal help. If getting some professional advice makes you feel more secure, go for it. One of the things they teach us in our emergency procedures and our life saving classes at my work is that since most states (inc CA) have instituted good samaritan laws, no one has been successfully sued for stopping and attepmting to help out in an accident or other emergency. So don't lose any sleep worring about legal issues for yourself. A little CYA never hurts, but don't worry about it. Just seeing something like that is stressful enough.

91nordic29
    good advice, dave

GrapeApe
    1st time poster.. just wanted to say that you are a good person to have even stopped to help. I have seen accidents where people keep driving by, almost hitting the people involved in the accident. So that says alot about the type of person you are. I myself have been there in your shoes 1st on the scene of a accident involving a Motorcycle. On the 805 North by the base at Miramar, an old lady cut off a big rig pulling 2 trailers. He swerved and slid both trailers sideways down the freeway. I was going the opposite direction and saw the accident as it was happening. I jumped out of my truck, and the old lady that cut the trucker off was clipped by the truck and spun into the guard rail, and was fine. The trucker jumped out screaming, and bleeding from hitting the windshield. I then saw a street bike underneath the truck towards the cab. I started to look for the rider, and he was pinned underneath the back trailers wheels. He was on his side, and the wheels where pinning his hips to the ground. Thankfully the box trailer was empty. I did my best to keep him calm, so he wouldn't go into deep shock. Alot of things fell into place perfectly to save this guys life. We slid a spare tire under the rear axle, and we neede a floor jack to reach the axle, low and behold an old lady driving a cadillac had a 100# floor jack in her trunk which worked to jack the truck off the guy. This guy wouldn't be alive if people didn't stop to help. And it did help to talk about the accident to as many people as I could. It kept me from thinking about it when I was alone..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast