Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Street legal golf cart/Rhino????

shadow
    I guarantee you that won't work. Some motorhomes are too wide to be legal in some states. Truckers can only pull triple trailers in some states. Tinted front window are only legal in some states.
    You will get a ticket here in CA if you cross paths with the wrong cop.
    A while back when the Sheriff was clamping down on carts at Martinez lake, a bunch of my friends got California plates on their golf carts. There was no smog or anything else to do for them, but they did all have 4 strokes (didn't know anyone with a 2 stroker). I'm planning on getting a Rhino this summer/fall, and I'll be looking into it then. If all I need is signals, windshield and other simple things, I'll do it.
    And a Cat converter & smog cert?

GunninGopher
    I am not aware of anyone having to do that on their yamaha golf carts back then. Has something changed?
    I'm heading to the DMV today to get some plates, if the clerk isn't a dumbazz, I'll ask.

stoker
    I just got off the phone with the main office of the DMV. They checked my VIN# and said yes it can be made street legal. I will have to add blinkers, mirrors, windsheild and a horn. I will also have to have to get a brake and light certificate. She said I can get one of those at most smog check stations.
    Anybody know where I can walk in and purchase the horn, mirrors and blinkers?

GunninGopher
    You could probably get everything from a golf cart shop.
    Some of it elsewhere, too.
    Are you doing a rhino? I think you are going to have to get it inspected at a CHP station, so you may want to work an 'in' with someone there.

ROZ
    Get a nice electric one and call it a day... Toby has a hookup on bigger 48v motors and speed controls for the hop-up

stoker
    You could probably get everything from a golf cart shop.
    Some of it elsewhere, too.
    Are you doing a rhino? I think you are going to have to get it inspected at a CHP station, so you may want to work an 'in' with someone there.
    Yes a Rhino. I called the CHP also. They said they don't do the inspections, just the DMV. I just picked up some items from the auto parts store and am stating in on it right now. I will keep you posted.

GunninGopher
    Bitchin.
    I hope to be doing this later this year.

bohica
    Don't forget one other thing they will require for street legal registration in CA - proof of insurance.

stoker
    Don't forget one other thing they will require for street legal registration in CA - proof of insurance.
    Your such a buzz kill. :rollside: Actually I have already started that process. Just waiting for the policy.
    When is Suzi going to let you get your Rhino? :rollside:
    Update.... The horn is done, working on the blinkers now.

bohica
    Your such a buzz kill. :rollside: Actually I have already started that process. Just waiting for the policy.
    When is Suzi going to let you get your Rhino? :rollside:
    Update.... The horn is done, working on the blinkers now.
    Dude, you little POS buggy will smoke that Rhino, and costs 1/3 of the price. I drove one out in Glamis, not for me, way to slow. Working on the wife for my 2 seater Funco to go along with the mini van. Getting closer.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast