Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Street legal golf cart/Rhino????

Froggystyle
    OK.... here is the skinny. Take it to a registration service. Trust me.
    I just got mine inspected, verified and registered in California for a $40 fee and $103 out the door.
    Required:
    Brake lights
    Turn signals
    Rear view mirror
    Headlights
    That's it.
    If you get a windshield, you can be required to put seat belts in it. There is a gray area between car and motorcycle I guess, and a golf cart is in it. If it has a windshield, you need seat belts. You also need a horn.
    I am not stating facts... just my experience. She said she had done a ton of them, and that was it.
    I feel like I got off lucky, but the bottom line is, go to a service that does a lot of them. McKee's in Lemon Grove does hundreds of them a year for Cottonwood Electric Car service here in El Cajon, and it is no drama at all for them.
    My plate will be on here in minutes. I will take a pic for everyone with before and afters...

OGShocker
    Sooooooo. Arizona is no problem sounds like.
    What about electric carts in California? Or four stroke?
    We had a four stroke reg'd in Cali. After ten times of getting a smog certificate requirement letter and me telling them every time,
    "IT IS A G O L F C A R T" they pulled my plate... I really don't like this State anymore.

djunkie
    OK.... here is the skinny. Take it to a registration service. Trust me.
    I just got mine inspected, verified and registered in California for a $40 fee and $103 out the door.
    Required:
    Brake lights
    Turn signals
    Rear view mirror
    Headlights
    That's it.
    If you get a windshield, you can be required to put seat belts in it. There is a gray area between car and motorcycle I guess, and a golf cart is in it. If it has a windshield, you need seat belts. You also need a horn.
    I am not stating facts... just my experience. She said she had done a ton of them, and that was it.
    I feel like I got off lucky, but the bottom line is, go to a service that does a lot of them. McKee's in Lemon Grove does hundreds of them a year for Cottonwood Electric Car service here in El Cajon, and it is no drama at all for them.
    My plate will be on here in minutes. I will take a pic for everyone with before and afters...
    Thats for electric carts though right? My DMV over here told me they couldn't do it cause it was gas. Guess I better try somewhere else.

chub
    It's the easiest thing to do in AZ. All you need is a horn, rearview mirror, and a license plate light. I was in the business and sold Rhinos out here in Havasu, that's all you need to make one street legal out here, LOVE IT!!!! Ca on the other hand is completely different, you can't street legal in CA. Hope that helped.
    Do you have to drag it to a DMV office?

Froggystyle
    Do you have to drag it to a DMV office?
    I didn't. I just went to a DMV service.
    Fact is, she didn't even check and see if it was gas or electric. Maybe she knew better, but she said it really wasn't as big a deal as I was making it. As long as it is a golf cart and unaltered from stock (relatively speaking) it is below the radar for a lot of motor vehicle registration laws.

WetWillie
    Was this a golf cart or Rhino???
    Were is that picture?
    I didn't. I just went to a DMV service.
    Fact is, she didn't even check and see if it was gas or electric. Maybe she knew better, but she said it really wasn't as big a deal as I was making it. As long as it is a golf cart and unaltered from stock (relatively speaking) it is below the radar for a lot of motor vehicle registration laws.

chub
    Was this a golf cart or Rhino???
    Were is that picture?
    What Willie said I think we are splittin hairs here.

Froggystyle
    Mine is a golf cart. Electric.
    Point is, they didn't even check anything. If you don't have a windshield, it is considered a neighborhood vehicle. California is bending over backwards to encourage smaller more economical transportation I guess so it is easier than you might imagine to get it liscensed.
    Just my experience. I didn't get down there today before 6:00 to pick it up, so the pics will have to be tomorrow...

chub
    Cool thanks for the input!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567