Thread: Running out of gas?

clownpuncher
    I've got a 78 Challenger with a 460, 2 600's (see pic for my carb set-up)
    Today at Blythe, I was running strong for a couple of hours before the engine just dies at about 2500 RPM, almost like it was running out of gas. I've got a half tank so that's not the prob. I try several times to restart but it only runs for a couple of seconds at a really rough idle. Then I get pissed and restart, once it restarts I pump the accelrator a bunch of times and the engine slowly picks back up and runs fine. Anyone have a clue on what's up with this? Thanks in advance
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/536Carb-med.jpg[/img]
    [ June 17, 2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: clownpuncher ]

Infomaniac
    Fuel pump or fuel filter sounds like.

GofastRacer
    Sounds like you're running out of gas, did you check to see if the bowls were full after it died??

clownpuncher
    Thanks info and GFR. I'll look into the filter and pump. Hey GFR, how do I check the bowls for fuel? Can you give me a description by looking at my pic above? Also, what would it mean if there wasn't fuel in the bowls? Sorry for the lame ass questions but I'm learning as I go.

Blown 472
    Maybe a chunk o shit in the needle and seats?? and it is flooding over and running rough?

GofastRacer
    clownpuncher:
    Thanks info and GFR. I'll look into the filter and pump. Hey GFR, how do I check the bowls for fuel? Can you give me a description by looking at my pic above? Also, what would it mean if there wasn't fuel in the bowls? Sorry for the lame ass questions but I'm learning as I go. You can take the screws out on the side of the bowls, the fuel should be just at the threads. If the float is way down, you know you're low on fuel. Another way to tell is to take one of the bottom bowl screws out, if hardly anything comes out, no fuel. If ther's no fuel in the bowls, then you have a delivery problem somewhere. As Info says, check the filter and pump first. If that checks out, check your lines for crud going to the carbs, you may have a hose starting deteriate?..Hope this helps!...