Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K&N or Computer

RiskyinElsinore
    How many of you guys and girls out here think that the Merc 496 ho leans it self down after break in or the K&N filter leans it down.I myself have a hard time thinking that a filter would help sence this engine and fuel system is managed by a computer!!If this fuel system is managed by a computer why wouldn't richen the fuel system for the new K&N filter? idea
    [ February 26, 2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: RiskyinElsinore ]

RiskyinElsinore
    Let's here some of your thoughts about this.

rivercrazy
    My own experience with the 496HO is that the rich condition goes away pretty gradually/consistently over time. I still get a small amount of soot at 25 hours but its a small fraction of what it was during the first 10 hours. I think it primarily the computer doing the rich dirty deed during break in. Im sure they burn a bit of oil as well until the motor is broken in.
    I've talked to a lot of guys doing the K&N thing and the vast majority of them say the filter did nothing to change the soot on the transom or added any performance increase. I bet the K&N definately has better filtration properties though and that can't be bad for a motor

Nubbs
    RiskyinElsinore:
    If this fuel system is managed by a computer why wouldn't richen the fuel system for the new K&N filter? idea I'm not too familiar with the 496 marine engine. But, assuming that the following is true:
    The pressure drop across the K&N intake is less than the pressure drop across the stock intake.
    The mass flow rate through the engine will then increase. If the stock fuel injection system is capable of supplying fuel for the increased mass flow, then the computer will compensate for the filter. If the fuel injection system is not capable of supporting the extra mass flow, the engine will run lean. I don't know about the stock injectors or the stock fuel pump, but the extra mass flow may exceed their capabilities. Again, my information is based on a typical fuel injection system. I'm not an expert on the 496. There may be specifics on the 496 that I didn't consider here.

superdave013
    Do people really think a K&N replacement sparkarrestor will flow more then the stock one??
    I will buy that it filters better but flow better? come on
    Hell, I've seen the stocker on Risky's boat and you can see right through it. I mean, you can almost stick your fingers through it. It's pretty course and I would think pretty free flowing.

Nubbs
    Sorry, double post.
    [ February 26, 2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Nubbs ]

RiskyinElsinore
    Come guys let's get some feed back here,this is better than the white truck thing?on the 15 fry

77charger
    i seriously doubt their hp claims.I read a hot rod mag where they actually tested many filters and also a stock one.The best improvement was 3hp and it wasnt eventhe k&n.(where does k&n get their 15-20 hp claim).As for the boat like sd said you can see right thru the stock one how much more flow can you gain i'd rather spring for a computer upgrade.

ACCEPTENCE
    Who offers the computer upgrade and what is it designed to do for the motor??? That's to say what are the advantages of upgrading???

andy01
    What you should do is look up a member on this message board that go's by "BowTieRick". He works for K&N and can help you with all of your questions and tell you what it will do. He heads up the marine division at K&N.
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast