Thread: Engine flushing Question

rposton1
    I have a Gen6 crate motor from indmar and it had the stock water jacketed headers. I was wondering what the best way was to flush the motor, I have removed the two 1/4 in plugs in the lower part of the block and alot of sand came out. I want to flush it out but am worried about getting water in my engine from my headers do I have any thing to worry about? Thanks In advance Rob

SmokinLowriderSS
    If you have JACKETED headers, you should have no trouble. The water dumps into the headers after they arch over for drainage (are they OT or TT, I have TT's). Jack the bow up as high as possibe if you want more peace of mind.
    I would disconnect the supply hose, put on a garden hose adapter,and turn the water on Gently. Don't overpressurize it inbd of the controll valve. I would poke arround thru the plug-hole with a wire while flushing. Good luck.
    I never did flush, nor did dad, 27 years, and while there was some sand in my block last year, it wasn't a lot. I don't boat a lot arround sand tho, Ks lakes tend to be mud-bottom covered in rocks, Okla lakes tend to be rock bottoms.

rposton1
    Thanks so much for your help Rob