Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 377 Scorpions vs. 496 HO

Chico&Zeus
    I am looking at a couple of boats...both are 30' and same hull, the one comes with twin 377 scorpions runs high 70's low 80's all day long and is a decent price. What I would like to know is how much more performance could I expect if I supercharged the scorpion engines. Next....I would really rather go with the big blocks but if they performed the same, the fuel savings along with the difference in price would draw me towards the 377's. I would also consider getting the 496 ho's and add the Raylar kits down the road. IS THIS WHAT I SHOULD DO??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

djunkie
    I'd go with the 496 HO's. But if you plan on spending the money to upgrade them with the Raylar kits then I'd recomend spending the extra now and just getting the 525's.

TCHB
    1. Horsepower to weight is always in the mix.
    2. The scorpions are reliable
    3. How much are you saving in buying it with the small blocks??
    4. Resale will not be as strong but if you save enough now maybe not a big deal.
    5. Which outdrives does it have???

TCHB
    Here is a boat with alot more HP than 496s!!
    PERFORMANCE (Sunsation 32)
    Peters designed the 32 Innovator's 24-degree hull with a pair of full-width steps and a delta pad in the aft running surface. There also were smaller offset steps between the inner and outer strakes, and between the outer strake and the chines.
    The fuel-injected engines delivered a combined 1,000 hp, which was handled by a pair of Bravo One XR drives with 1.5:1 ratios and lab-finished Bravo One 15 1/4" x 32" four-blade stainless-steel propellers. Connecting the drives was a stainless-steel tiebar for the IMCO full-hydraulic steering system.
    With the engines turning 5,400 rpm, the 32 Innovator topped out at 92.4 mph, a couple of miles an hour faster than the manufacturer estimated it would run. The hull-and-propulsion-package combo proved equally efficient and invigorating in acceleration tests. From a standing start, the boat reached 84 mph in 20 seconds. It took the same amount of time—3.7 seconds—to run from 30 to 50 mph as it did to run from 40 to 60 mph, and it went from 40 to 70 in an equally impressive 6.4 seconds. The 525s were a great choice for the boat.

INSman
    Whipple used to and may still have an SC kit for the Scorps as I was considering at one time, just no NEW Scorps were being made or available when I built my boat.

Smokin Joe
    Twin Scorpions are a beautiful thing you cannot go wrong with blue motors and the fact they will run day in and out. I would skip the super charger and stay with stock blue motor reliability, the weight and gas savings are a plus.
    joe

TCHB
    Here is another boat 32 Footer
    Is the delta-pad bottom 33 Outlaw SST better than the pure conventional V-bottom version? That's the obvious question, and one that can't be answered without both models with the same power running side by side on the same day.
    We didn't have that opportunity, but we did have the new 33 Outlaw SST with twin 425-hp MerCruiser 496 Mag HO engines, Bravo One XR drives with 1.5:1 gear reductions and inward-rotating Bravo One 15 1/4" x 30" four-blade stainless-steel propellers. In addition to the delta pad, which was roughly 8 inches wide and 11 feet long, the 24-degree hull had four strakes and flat chines.
    With the engines turning 4,750 rpm, top speed for the 33 Outlaw SST was 75.2 mph, which wasn't bad for a 7,500-pound boat. Dropping the Mercury 380S K-Planes and nailing the throttles yielded a time to plane of 3.8 seconds and a zero-to-20-second speed of 67 mph.

TCHB
    Shockwave 29
    Nothing charges us up more than testing new models. The chance of discovering a gem, is always intriguing. The next best thing, however, is testing a boat we've evaluated and appreciated before with different (i.e. bigger) power.
    Such was the case with the Shockwave 29 Magnatude we ran during the Parker, Ariz., leg of our 2002 Performance Trials. We'd already tested the 30'7"-long, 8'6"wide boat twice-once with a single 470-hp HP500EFI engine from Mercury Racing and once with a pair of 310-hp MerCruiser 7.4-liter MPI motors-and we liked what we found. (We enjoyed the twin big-block engine version enough to give it an "Outstanding Offshore Value" award in 2000.)
    This time around, Shockwave outfitted the 29 Magnatude with twin 350-hp Mercury Racing Scorpion 377 motors, and we liked it better still. More power and less weight in a proven package … what's not to like? And even with the power upgrade and a slew of options, the boat still rang in at a reasonable $126,000.
    PERFORMANCE
    Knowing that 29 Magnatude had run 70.8 mph with the HP500EFI and 74.3 mph with the twin MerCruiser offerings, we were curious to see how it would do with a pair of Mercury Racing's hottest (and only) small-blocks. As we suspected, the upgrade was well worth making. Outfitted with Bravo XZ drives with 1.5:1 reduction, Mercury Bravo One 15 1/4" x 26" four-blade stainless-steel propellers, the boat hit 77.5 mph. No doubt, the 106-degree afternoon heat cost the boat a few mph.
    The power move also made sense when it came to standing-start acceleration. Time to plane for the 6,800-pounder with its Dana Products trim tabs down was 3.4 seconds. In 20 seconds, the boat reached 74.5 mph. The small-block motors also delivered a swift kick in midrange acceleration drills. The boat zipped from 30 to 50 mph in 4.5 seconds and 40 to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds. Performance fell off slightly, though predictably so, at the top end when it took 8.8 seconds for the boat to run from 40 to 70 mph.
    Though the power had changed since we last tested the 29 Magnatude, its 24-degree stepped deep-V hull had not. The first step was approximately 8 feet forward from the transom, the second step 4 feet aft of the first. All four of the boat's strakes ran full length. Chines were roughly 3 degrees negative and 3 inches wide.
    Why mess with success? The 29 Magnatude exhibited the same steady handling manners it had in past evaluations. The boat sliced slalom turns well at 30 mph, and was even more precise in those turns at 40 and 50 mph. The same performance pattern continued in circle turns: Handling precision increased with speed, always a big plus in a performance boat, and hydraulic steering certainly didn't hurt.
    We would have loved to test the 29 Magnatude in rough water as we had before. Still, we can say that we tested the boat offshore in the past, and it delivered impressive rough-water performance for its length

Kilrtoy
    496 run 87 pump from any station
    377 run 92 pump, but better use a good station, which means more dollars
    .50 cents a gallon difference
    at 100 gallons a day that is 50 bucks or 150 every weekend
    that is ruffly 600 a month more in fuel
    inquired at the dealer into the 377's and was told you must use fuel additive...
    DO NOT KNOW HOW CORRECT THIS IS, I WAS JUST TOLD THIS BY THE DEALER

bigq
    377 with the Whipple running 92 is about equal to the HP500, give or take a few. That was a great little motor running Lunati internals i believe. I would choose the scorps over the 496 unless it will be in the ocean and you can use the closed cooling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast