Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Vs. Youth -UPDATE

Her454
    Dropped my daughter off at school yesterday and one of her friends who just turned 16 rolled up in a SWEET "Blown" 69 Nova FULL of teens. Now I love the classics, AND all the HP I can get...but we live in a small community in the mountains. Lots of teens lost on the dangerous roads. I was just wondering what the general opinion is out there...at 15 I give my daughter experience behind the wheel every chance I get, the car, the 4 Wheel drive, and she handles both Jets and Flats very well and isn't afraid of the horsepower. BUT, I would NEVER unleash a 16 year old behind the wheel of a Blown motor under these circumstances. Am I the only one who feels this way and I being over-protective?
    [ March 10, 2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Her454 ]

24RODjr
    Let's see...
    Teaching her responsibility, and not spoiling her rotten...sounds like good parenting to me.

Havasu Hangin'
    10HP per year...by 20, she should have 200...
    Oh shit...I should be driving a Top Fueler...

Blown 472
    It is kinda like anything, I have guns in the house and my son was taught they are not toys you dont touch them unless I am with you, same goes for horsepower, teach them to respect it and no problem.

Liberator TJ1984
    Nope I feel the same ..been in a bad enough situations with "stock" HP in older Cameros,Firebirds and Mustangs growing up and totalling all of them luckily not hurting myself or others...hate to think what I could have done back then knowing what I know now eek! the thing that scared me the most was running flat out in the camero( hopped up ) and got too much air?? under the car and it started spinning out of control,luckily it stayed on the blacktop on a straight stretch and came to a stop blowing out 2 tires dead cenetr in the highway...could have been waaaayyy bad....

Her454
    I thought I was nutts after I voiced my opinion and told my daughter to STAY OUT of that car and not take any rides home and one of the dads told me I was "overreacting". I told him I didnt want to be ID'ing my daughter at the morgue and no matter how "responsible" the kid was, he's still a teen, with too much HP under the hood. Actually I dont think the kid is supposed to haul anyone until he's had his license a certain amount of time anyway?

Mandelon
    I wouldn't be in favor of it for my kids....Too much temptation to get crazy. As long as I am contributing to my kids support they will get sensible vehicles, like a pick up or a 64 Dodge Dart! They're only 7 and 9 now but the years are sure going fast!!

Blown 472
    Mandelon:
    I wouldn't be in favor of it for my kids....Too much temptation to get crazy. As long as I am contributing to my kids support they will get sensible vehicles, like a pick up or a 64 Dodge Dart! They're only 7 and 9 now but the years are sure going fast!! I want a 64 dodge dart, I will be good daddy.

Skaterfast
    First of all your not over reacting.I will bet that if the kid has a hot rod like that he definitely knows what beer tastes like.
    Long story short.Dad bought me a 69 Big Block Camaro at the age of 15 1/2.Made it nice.About a year later with 4 or 5 beers in me I had that car wrapped around a palm tree.BTW 20 years later I still have that car and am puting a new MSD ignition in it this weekend.

Jungle Boy
    My daughter has a group of friends that are into trucks. One of them has rolled his truck while climbing a pile dirt in a new development area in town. One girl took 15 stiches in her face and he hurt his leg. My kid was at home at the time, thank god. He had the nerve (or stupidity) to laugh about wrecking his truck to me. I told him that if he ever hurts my daughter I'll maim him. I worry alot about the kids driving around in there little shit can cars and 4x4´s. At least in my day, when you were heading for a tree, it sheared off because we had big cars. Now people are killed in them little hunks of shit. All for 40 MPG. I'd rather pay more for gas and have some iron around me or her. My 2 cents.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast