Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kicking the Habit

Stupid Fast
    I am trying to quit smoking. It is killing me(The smoking and trying to quit). My wife wants to kill me. I want to kill anybody who talks breaths or is just plain stupid. My 2 1/2 year old daughter says I am "Grumpy", and "Quit being a Jerk". What works and what doesn't? I need help. I deal with some of the stupidest people on earth during the day. "Smoke breaks" have given many a tradesman a lease on life. I am open to any sugestions. I really want to quit but I don't want a divorce too.
    Eric

Mr.Havasu
    It only takes 3 days for the physical addition to leave, after that it's only the mental addition.
    Knowing that I used the "cut down about 5 cigs a day less for a week" approach. I just kept cutting back each week until I was down to just a few hits a day and they didn't appeal to me any more after that. It worked for me and it's been over 20 years. It will only work if you are truly motivated to quit.
    Note: try not to drink coffee or alcohal during this period, or anthing else that stimulates more smoking.
    Goood luck.

Jbb
    Scan the net for pictures of lungs ravaged by smoking, that should motivate you...Good luck,you made the correct decision

Stupid Fast
    warlock25:
    Note: try not to drink coffee or alcohal during this period, or anthing else that stimulates more smoking.
    Goood luck. jawdrop
    My wife would realy kill me with no Coffe or beer!
    It may work though. This time I am very motivated.

riverliver
    It is easier to do something when we are for something rather than when we are against something. No need to draw pictures of yellow-stained nails and teeth, tar-coated lungs and a cancer-ravaged windpipe. It is better to ask yourself to work on having a fresh taste in your mouth (when you can really taste your food), clean and healthy lungs, healthy looking skin, a strong and robust heart. Live that health dream. Work for it. Decide what you would be doing with the money you can save on smoking.
    Good luck

Stupid Fast
    Riverliver that is why i want to quit. When I was younger I ran 15 miles a day, at least three triathalons a year, benchpressed almost twice my body weight and could do unlimited pushups and situps. Now I feel like hell, stink, get winded running around the block ect., ect. Cigarettes is the hardest thing I have ever tried to quit. I am not a quitter. Just a very adictive personality. I only drink beer coffee and water. I don't like soda or Juice(If you ever remodeled a bottleing plant you would see why). What drugs help? any?

HOSS
    I hear ya. I`ve quit and gone back Never mind why. Alcohol is the main culprit.
    Zyban. Go to your family physician and ask him about it. I quit with it and will soon again. It really works. But you gotta wanna quit. Its pills. Anti depressants actually. It was noticed years ago that people place on this medication for depression all seemed to quit smoking. Now it is mostly perscribed for that. Tke them exactly how it says. I will almost guarantee you`ll quit. It takes away the urge, the high you get from it. All you will feel is the smike going into your lungs and thats it. There will literrally be no reason to smoke anymore. I urge you to try it if you really want to quit.

fear the turtle
    I quit 2 years ago. I did the patch but instead of the 6 week routine, I did it in 2 weeks. They have 3 patches that are equal to 20/10/5 cigarette's a day. I was a little over a pack a day smoker. And I started with the 2nd patch(10) for one week. It only takes a couple days to get your body down to that level. Then I did the last patch(5) for the second week. And cold turkey on the third week. The biggest thing is breaking the mental habit more then the physical need. You have to change your routine's. Change how you drive home, in all likelyhood you had a specific program and places you lit up everyday driving home. After dinner get up and do the dishes so you don't think about that after dinner cig. If you are like me and typically go home sit down and relax and have one immediately, don't sit down initially when you get home or sit in a different spot then you are used to. Take it slowly, if you hang around others that smoke. Don't plan to hang around them for a full night of drinking and partying. Maybe just a dinner and then leave immediately afterwards. And take it easy drinking. I had one beer first, then left the bar. Then a week later I had few more beer's and so on and so on.
    Final tip, make it as difficult as possible for yourself to get a cigarette. During my first 2 weeks, I didn't carry any cas or bank cards that would allow me to go buy a pack. And I didn't go anywhere that I knew there would be smoking and I could bum one. And if there was I left the first time I even thought about it, the urge won't go away by itself. You need to remove yourself from the temptation.

Ziggy
    warlock25:
    I just kept cutting back each week until I was down to just a few hits a day and they didn't appeal to me any more after that. It worked for me and it's been over 20 years. It will only work if you are truly motivated to quit.
    Goood luck. I thought cigarette smokers called it "drags" and not "hits" like the other smokers wink
    Stupid Fast...good luck on the new way of life for you, your family will appreciate it as well will you after the withdrawal's. I luckily have never been addicted to cigs although waaaaaay back in J.High I did smoke because it was cool. Soon I realized it wasn't so cool and quit overnight. Lucky I guess.
    Hoss made a good point and it might be something to consider if willpower fails.

waterndog
    I quit 6 years ago. I tried everything. I finally went to the doc He hooked me up with Zyban I took it for 3 months and never looked backed It totally worked for me, I know some people have taken it and it didn't work for them but I'm a huge fan. My wife use to call them my happy pills cause i was just freakin happy all the time when I was taking them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast