Thread: Pontoon Boat sets Speed Record???

mtndewdrops
    I was reading my Boat U.S magazine and they had an article about this speed record set by a pontoon boat.
    "The official pontoon speed record made by Jim Dorris on Feb. 4, 2003 aboard a PlayCraft X-Treme 2800 pontoon boat with twin Mercury 300HP outboards is 81mph.
    Source: Pontoon & Deck Boat Magazine.
    That is getting it on!
    BTW>During our last trip to Emerald Cove it seemed that there were alot more pontoon boats and PWCs. I felt somewhat of a minority on the south end.

al cole'holic
    RiverDave:
    I'm surprised that with some of the Power Toons running upwards of 60 with a small block no one has tried to beat that record yet with a small block blower motor and a Bravo III.
    RD Why the Bravo III??

HavasuDreamin'
    How about a blown big block and a #6. Wouldn't that be an interesting double take when glancing at a pontoon with a #6.

Daytona30
    That was an odessy pontoon it actually had evinrudes on it and it went over a hundred miles an hour but it couldnt back it up wind was really bad. I talked to the guy who helped with the project the reason you think mercury is because they paid for the pictures and had the rights with odessy.

burbanite
    HavasuDreamin'
    there was one in the cove last weekend with a 502...
    Ed pointed it out to me, it belongs to someone he knows.

VillainDave
    All I can say is, could you imagine the shaking that boat was doing at 81mph eek!

BIGTYME
    a pontoon that goes 80? Thats like trying to shoot pool with as rope

buck183
    You guys need to check out the ShootOut at LOTO. Seeing a Pontoon boat do those speeds is an every year event there.
    I about freaked when I saw it at first. Couldn't believe my eyes. Not I see it run every year and just laugh.
    PS. I would choose a Bravo 1 for the set up myself. Bravo III's make good anchors and that's about it.
    Buck

mtndewdrops
    buck183:
    You guys need to check out the ShootOut at LOTO. Seeing a Pontoon boat do those speeds is an every year event there.
    I about freaked when I saw it at first. Couldn't believe my eyes. Not I see it run every year and just laugh.
    PS. I would choose a Bravo 1 for the set up myself. Bravo III's make good anchors and that's about it.
    Buck Hey, Have you had bad luck with a BravoIII? I sure like mine.

Boozer
    Common or not I wouldn't want to be on a pontoon going that fast.