Thread: Pro Comp

DogHouse
    Thought I'd share a recent experience with some Pro-Comp ATs just in case any of you guys are running them... Keep a close eye on them! I had 26k miles on mine when the front right developed a huge bubble in the tread, the front left started a small bubble, and the two rears started showing signs of cracking between the tread blocks. Luckily this happened slowly so I had warning. These tires were never run low on pressure (usually 45 psi) and were rotated and balanced three different times in that 26k miles. Pro-Comp and Cooper (mfg) refused to give any help even though they supposedly carry a 50k mile treadwear warranty. In the end Discount Tire stepped up without me asking and gave a 100 bucks a tire credit toward some new BFGs. That whole thing could have been a lot worse if one would have come apart on the freeway while towing with family on board. Moral of the story, check your Pro Comps frequently if you have them...
    -brian

77charger
    I was close to buying a set just after they came out.The tire place i was asking the owner mentioned that he had a couple of sets go 10k before he had them checked out turned out to be way out of round.The owners of the trucks had problems with balancing could never get it normal.Fir the price i went with goodyears all teraains instead.Seem to get alot of milage out of these.Have also had good luck with bfgs both mud and the all terrains
    Others i have talked to were happy so far with the pro comps but they were still new tires.Ask for an opinion you will get many responses argue

DogHouse
    77charger:
    ...Ask for an opinion you will get many responses argue Ain't that the truth! wink
    I really liked them before they came apart. Nobody else makes a 33x12.50x17, and now I've had to drop down to a 285/70/17 BFG AT because my HD is not lifted. The Pro Comps were quieter than the BFGs and worked great on and off road. Too bad they failed or they'd still be my tire of choice...
    -brian

565edge
    DogHouse:
    77charger:
    ...Ask for an opinion you will get many responses argue Ain't that the truth! wink
    I really liked them before they came apart. Nobody else makes a 33x12.50x17, and now I've had to drop down to a 285/70/17 BFG AT because my HD is not lifted. The Pro Comps were quieter than the BFGs and worked great on and off road. Too bad they failed or they'd still be my tire of choice...
    -brian I think nitto tires has some 33-12.50-17's,I run the 37 goodyear mtr's on a 17 wheel.If i do go to a smaller tire i have seen plent sets of hummer 2 tires for cheap.They are a 35-12.5-17(its a metric size but dont know what it is).The tires are bfg all terrains and there is a guy in huntington beach that sells them for $399 a set.

Lightning
    DogHouse:
    77charger:
    -brian I think Goodyear has the size you need.