Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing with a Jeep Wrangler?

SDLifesaver
    Anybody do this frequently? I am really itching to buy a jeep as a leave in Havasu tow rig/off road/dunes/daily driver while we are there. The boat we tow is a 2002 21' Howard. Probably about 5,000 to 6,000 total weight with the trailer? HELP!!!

HOSS
    As long as the trailer is a tandem and has brakes. I do. Tow with one that is.

buck183
    Makes me think of the words..."the tail wagging the dog".
    I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.
    My boat weighs in at 6820lbs on trailer with gear and full of gas. I pull it with a 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 and it's almost too much for it.
    Braking is what comes to mind.
    Buck

Jordy
    I wouldn't tow anything much bigger than a Jet Ski with a Jeep. I like to be able to turn and stop suddenly if need be. Then again, I have a 1-ton crew-cab so I kinda believe in overkill too.
    Just my $.02
    let me know when you're on the road so I can stay clear.

77charger
    i think it will be fine just for launching if the ramp is down the street or in a trailer park other than that im like jordy i believe in overkill when it comes to towing.(i locked the brakes while towing my toybox last summer when some idiot got scared and braked hard)It is only an 18 ftr but i have a 3/4 ton sub and wouldnt tow it with anything less and was glad i did at the time.

JetBoatRich
    A lot of opinions, If I was taking it a block to the ramp no worries. Once in traffic with stop and go, not sure this is the truck to do it eek!

HOSS
    Auh man, live life, you`ll be fine.

Bow Movement
    You'll be fine for around town and launching. But I wouldn't want to go on a long journey with that setup.

Lightning
    I'd opt for something like a Bronco or old school RamCharger, they will probably be around the same price and work a little better for towing. Both these trucks have removeable tops too.

SDLifesaver
    OK guys, I'm over it. I went and checked out the jeeps and after reading all the replies I don't want the jeep anymore. I am going to wait and continue to use my crew cab Chevy until I find an older Bronco or Blazer in good shape for the right price. Thanks everybody. Nick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast