Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magic Cat/Deckboat Owners, where's your "X"???

dorC
    I have a center pod that is slightly lower than my outer sponsons. My shaft is centered on the bottom, BUT I also have an extension box. The boat planes off great with a Bravo 1. If you don't have a box, you'd have to go down at least an inch. The biggest problem has been trying to find a prop that will hook up. Otherwise it feels and handles great. Only a touch of paddle wheel in the right conditions.

DogHouse
    dorC, thanks for the good info. What kind of hull do you have? So far I've heard from a couple folks and it's sounding like I could go up an inch or two safely. No extension box on my boat, just the notched transom.
    -brian

dorC
    It's a Firehawk catamaran. A sister boat to the AO.

1ASKYDV
    Brian,
    From the center of the driveshaft to the notch is right at 16" on my deckboat.
    Hope this helps.
    Larry

Keith E. Sayre
    Doghouse: be careful, as you know the shorter drive will give you some top speed but usually at a cost to the planing time. You may want to talk to Steve at Magic, he played with his alot in order to find out what the parameters could be. I have a couple
    of 28 Magics here for sale so feel free to stop by to measure them if you wish. Good luck.
    Keith Sayre
    Conquest Boats
    Lake Havasu City
    928-680-1400

DogHouse
    Larry & Keith, thanks for the info. I do intend to call Flattop, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I will definitely go up at least an inch... question is, is two too much! Probably best to err on the side of conservatism.
    I guess I can always make more HP if I really want to get this thing over the century mark.
    Just don't tell my wife!

dorC
    If you buy a 2" shortened lower you can always space it back down.

DogHouse
    Talked to Steve @Magic. He says they've done quite a bit of testing with their cats and deckboats. For my open bow with the extra weight up front, he really doesn't recommend getting the propshaft up even with the bottom because it would make it more difficult to carry the nose of the boat at the right attitude. Mine's already near the highest they normally go. The 2" shorty would be fun to try but I don't want to have to buy a spacer if it doesn't work. I think I'll go with the 1" shorty (with nosecone) and play with some different props. He spoke highly of the Maximus 5 blades, says they've seen top speed increases around 3mph. The extra blade area would help if the drive ends up a little too high. Time to get that drive together and get back in the water... Thanks again for all the input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12