Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone ever Hydraulic an engine?

78Eliminator
    When I was having a bunch of carb issues, I had the same thing happen. The floats were pissing raw fuel right down the runners and I didn't know it. It would turn over then just stop. I thought I just had a low battery, because the starter was REALLY laboring. Finally I heard a BOOM and the starter cracked off the block tore the wires off and ended up on my front driveway.
    Anyway, growing pains can be expensive.

quiet riot
    done it once with fuel. I was wiring up the n2o with a pressure and throttle switch. Just testing the fuel flow/pressure for a couple seconds to make sure everything was hunky dory. figured i'd just crank it over to blow it out but even 2 batt's wouldn't do it. Had to pull the plugs and crank.
    Seen several boats hydro-locked when I worked at a marina. No big damage usually, but these were mostly stock type setups. causes ranged from blown gaskets to log exhaust jets throwing it in reverse to slow down fast and shut it off only to have water surge back through.
    Usually just a plug pulling ordeal, and maybe an oil change and gasket fix.
    jd

LeE ss13
    Yes I have. 11 to 1 427 BBC in my old flatbottom with water cooled headers. Broke an intake rocker arm, filled the cylinder with water and shortened the connecting rod by about 3/8". Motor was running but was making a knocking sound which was the counter weight of the crankshaft slamming into the bottom of the piston which came down 3/8" farther than it used to.

Schiada76
    I had the same problem as 78E, pumped the cylinders full with new carbs. Damn glad it didn't fire when I turned it over. I'll never try to test and tune new carbs with the scoop on again!

78Eliminator
    Yeah, mine DID catch on fire! Lucky for me I got it out real fast. Holley's plastic floats suck. Use either brass or nytrophyl (except with alky) and float test them ALL!

travis hathaway
    While cruising at about 3500 rpm, my engine stopped instantly and steam started coming out of the headers. The starter wouldn't spin the motor, otherwise there was no visible exterior damage. Upon tearing the motor (30 over 454) down I discovered that the Crane roller rockers had lost some needle bearings and began to wobble latterally and with too little valve stem to spring retainer clearance the rockers beat the spring retainers until they failed , causing the valve to drop into #4 cylinder, splitting the cylinder in several places. Also bent the connecting rod and bashed up the piston. The combustion chamber received only a small knick. I later learned that the Roller Rockers had been worn out on a blower motor prior to going into my motor. I found that several other rockers had begun to lose needle bearings too. The needle bearings were found in the pan. I now check my valve train regularly to insure that everything is working properly.

gnarley
    Originally posted by travis hathaway
    While cruising at about 3500 rpm, my engine stopped instantly and steam started coming out of the headers. The starter wouldn't spin the motor, otherwise there was no visible exterior damage. Upon tearing the motor (30 over 454) down I discovered that the Crane roller rockers had lost some needle bearings and began to wobble latterally and with too little valve stem to spring retainer clearance the rockers beat the spring retainers until they failed , causing the valve to drop into #4 cylinder, splitting the cylinder in several places. Also bent the connecting rod and bashed up the piston. The combustion chamber received only a small knick. I later learned that the Roller Rockers had been worn out on a blower motor prior to going into my motor. I found that several other rockers had begun to lose needle bearings too. The needle bearings were found in the pan. I now check my valve train regularly to insure that everything is working properly.
    This is not a hydraulic situation, it broke due to the rocker & dropped a valve not due to being filled with fluid.
    There have been some pretty good examples so far, keep'em coming.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123