Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Out What's Coming From Chevy/GMC Next Year - Very Cool!

MagicMtnDan
    GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado
    While Honda and Toyota concentrate on compact-sized hybrids, General Motors is pursuing a "bigger" approach - one that it believes makes more sense, both from an economic viewpoint as well as from a practical one: full-size trucks and SUVs that incorporate the latest hybrid technologies, but which don't require their owners to drive smaller vehicles that can't be used to haul or tow things.
    Later this year, GM will begin selling hybrid versions of the full-size Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra pickup - first to commercial fleets, then later to anyone who wants one. These trucks will be identical in most respects to non-hybrid Silverados and Sierras; same 9000-lb. towing capacity capability, same 5.3 liter, 285-hp "Vortec" V-8 engine.
    You'd have to put on some overalls and climb underneath to see the electric motor that's been integrated into the drivetrain between the engine and the transmission. The electric motor replaces the conventional alternator and flywheel starter used on normal Sierras and Silverados. There's also a 42-volt lead-acid battery pack to store the electricity generated by the system, up to a sparky 4.8 kilowatts.
    The interesting thing about this system and the major departure from the approach taken by Honda and Toyota is that the electrical motor and batteries are not there to "boost" or even supplement the power output of the gasoline engine. In fact, the only time the electric gear makes its presence known is when you are idling in traffic or when you need to run your drill, Saws-all, or other power equipment.
    Fuel economy savings of up to fifteen percent are realized by the simple expedient of automatically turning off the gasoline engine when it's not needed - such as when you're stuck sitting in a traffic jam, or parked by the side of the road jabber-jawing with your cronies. But the moment you need power, the V-8 instantaneously comes to life and you are on your way.
    Meanwhile, the electrical power created by "regenerative braking" - the process whereby the energy used to slow the vehicle is transfomed into volts and amps - is stored in the batteries, and can be accessed to run your power tools at either of the handy 110 Volt, 20-amp outlets in the cab and bed. As such, the Sierra/Silverado concept is a vehicle any contractor, handyman, outdoor enthusiast, or fix-it-up guy would drool over.
    Another twist is that certain accessories such as the power steering and the air conditioning system are either operated electrically, or are designed so that they remain fully functional even when the gasoline engine has turned itself off. The driver doesn't notice anything, other than the unusual quiet and the improved fuel economy.
    GM engineers argue there's a limited market for compact-sized cars that can seat only two passengers (the Insight), or which are still so small that they are really useful only as commuter cars or for small families as a secondary car (the Prius and Civic hybrid).
    (GM is also working on "Displacement On Demand" powertrains which allow a gas-thirsty V-8 engine to operate with the frugality of a much smaller four-cylinder engine.)

MagicMtnDan
    Looks like Dodge will be getting in on the act too...
    2004 Dodge Ram Contractor Special
    Another big idea in hybrids is the Ram Contractor Special, an option package for Dodge's full-size 1500 and 2500 series pickups. In addition to lowering emissions and improving fuel efficiency by about fifteen percent compared to a conventional Ram pickup, the Contractor Special also acts as a portable generator, providing 20 kilowatts of 110-volt/220-volt electricity to power your tools or TV or whatever you feel like plugging in. And the onboard generator weighs only a couple hundred pounds - much less than a comparably powerful portable generator.
    The gas-electric hybrid powertrain also delivers a seat-of-the-pants bonus, too. A prototype Ram hybrid equipped with the 5.2 liter V-8/hybrid electric motor made it to 60 mph in ten seconds flat and delivered about 18 mpg - a half-second faster and two mpg better than a conventional, non-hybrid Ram with just the 5.2 V-8 (10.6 seconds and 16-mpg). And of course, overall emissions should be substantially less with the hybrid gas-electric powertrain. Estimated cost of the hybrid powertrain is about $5,000 over the cost of a comparable, gasoline-only Ram.
    Chrysler retreated from plans to offer a hybrid Durango SUV because it felt a business case could not be made for the vehicle. But the Ram Contractor Special may fare better given its utility. The military has expressed a good deal of interest - and at least a few thousand of these special vehicles should see the light of day.

HOSS
    Know who makes the Hummer? Yeah well the military`s Hummers (50% approx.) are already electric/diesel. This news is lame and late. Bet I won`t buy one of those trucks. Can you say piece of shit 3 times really fast?

MagicMtnDan
    You tellem Hoss - then go buy a POS Mustang

Seadog
    Yeah, look at who won the latest Mustang/Camaro showdown. Oh, I forgot, Camaro was a no-show. Well, look at whose 65 model is a collector's item. Mustang again? Gee, MMD, I guess its the GMs that are the POS.

carreraelite
    Why is it that you clowns look to bash manufacturers that are trying something different,rather than find the positive in what has been posted regardless of the manufacturer!! The gas engine hasn't changed much since the beginning!! ITS A DINOSAUR!!

91nordic29
    i agree, carreraelite. we need to do something regarding our fuel usage.

Dave C
    More fuel economy is a great idea! But if no one wants to "buy" the product, whats the point of building it?
    Here in the most liberal place on earth they still have a hard time giving away those small hybrids, even if they are a great idea.
    I think GM has the right idea. Take a product that people want and integrate some new technology to make it more fuel efficient. But make it as an option rather than standard equipment.

bigq
    Originally posted by carreraelite
    Why is it that you clowns look to bash manufacturers that are trying something different,rather than find the positive in what has been posted regardless of the manufacturer!! The gas engine hasn't changed much since the beginning!! ITS A DINOSAUR!!
    How can you make that statement. I don't know about you , but I am not running a flathead in my F150. Not to mention the alternate fuel vehicles.

Seadog
    I try and get the most fuel efficient vehicle for my needs. It would be nice to afford a car for every purpose, but I do not have the money. This means that my hauling truck is also my go to work truck. There are many people that want a big rig when they have no need for one. They are willing to pay $40,000+ for a SUV that gots 12 mpg. This to just go to work or the store, not even car pooling. It is a waste, but we have that priviledge afforded to us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast