Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SPAM Lots of V-Drive and Ford Parts

GofastRacer
    That is not an FE, the intake on an FE is part of the head, that looks like an old Lincoln motor???..

BigBoyToys
    Hey Art, I just got an email from the guy that runs www.ford-y-block.com and he said that it is a 1959 430 Lincoln out of a T-Bird. I don't know how he came up with all of that but I sent him pics along with the block, heads, and intake casting numbers and that's what he came up with. SO now I know...
    Why couldn't it have been a Chevy!:frown:

BigBoyToys
    from what I've been told, some of the parts on this motor are interchangeable with the FE motors. The waterlogs might fit....ports look the same. I'll sell the waterlogs for $100.00 if anyone is interested..

dmontzsta
    FE's rule

GofastRacer
    Originally posted by BigBoyToys
    Hey Art, I just got an email from the guy that runs www.ford-y-block.com and he said that it is a 1959 430 Lincoln out of a T-Bird. I don't know how he came up with all of that but I sent him pics along with the block, heads, and intake casting numbers and that's what he came up with. SO now I know...
    Why couldn't it have been a Chevy!:frown:
    LOL, I thought that's what it was but I wasn't sure what year though!..

GofastRacer
    Originally posted by BigBoyToys
    from what I've been told, some of the parts on this motor are interchangeable with the FE motors. The waterlogs might fit....ports look the same. I'll sell the waterlogs for $100.00 if anyone is interested..
    Well the ports do look the same but I don't know about the spacing???. Don't remember if anything interchanges with the FE, I didn't think they did??, maybe 058 remembers???...

dmontzsta
    I have been looking through my Ford interchange books and it does not mention anything about a 430 Y block, they are something special.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Originally posted by GofastRacer
    That is not an FE, the intake on an FE is part of the head, that looks like an old Lincoln motor???.. Bummer, until I saw the B9 casting # (1959) I was hoping this would turn out to be a Hipo 390 or 406. I bet those valve covers would fit an F.E. Throw a 3/4 cam in and run it.

BigBoyToys
    Here's a portion of an email I received about the engine; "the engine was first made in 1958 as a 383 and a 430. It was only used
    in Lincolns, a few 59 T-Birds and as a 383 in some Mercs. It was later made
    a 462 cu in. It was replaced in 1969 by the 429-460. Parts are a little
    hard to find for them. A few parts are the same as an FE
    (352-390-406-427-428). Most of the parts are specific to the 430. The heads
    are flat with the chambers in the top of the cylinders like a 409."
    The water equipment on this does not appear to be custom made so I figure that this motor has to be able to use parts from another model. For instance, I can't imagine Cal Marine casting a special cast specifically for the 430 water logs. That would be too much $$ don't ya's think? I wonder if the engine mount holes are in the same place as other engines?
    Not sure what it all means but just the same, the motor is for sale and/or parts on it are for sale I'll stick with my BBC's
    Thanks for all the help on the motor ID thing.

Originally posted by GofastRacer
    Well the ports do look the same but I don't know about the spacing???. Don't remember if anything interchanges with the FE, I didn't think they did??, maybe 058 remembers???... It is indeed a 430 type engine [MEL family] they ranged from 383", 410, 430 and 462" and they were made from 1958 thru 1967 to be replaced by the 429-460 engine. These engines have almost nothing in common with the FE series engine as the bore centers are not the same. The MEL is a "plank head" design meaning the combustin chambers are in the cylinder rather than the head. Marine exhaust manifolds were cast specifically for the MEL engine as they were quite popular in the late 50s and early 60s. Alot of boat builders used the 430 for their power source as these engines were as reliable as rain and had alot of torque.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234