Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help identifying motor and jet

NavyJetMech
    Please help identifying motor and jet:
    Just boat a jet boat while overhauling a 65 sanger flat bottom v-drive.
    All I know is:
    California boat manufacturer: 1976 ski boat
    Engine is labeled as a Panther 360. Looks like an AMC 360 block, does anyone know anything about these? How much horsepower? Reliable?
    Jet drive is labeled as “maritec” (I know nothing about jets) Is that the brand? Is it reliable? Where to get parts? Anything compatible with other jet drives?
    Thanks
    Frank

Tim_T
    Some pics would help. From my minimal experience, every jet i have seen with a 360 amc has had a panther jet. Thats about all i could tell you without a picture.

NavyJetMech
    Thanks Tim, here is a pic of the jet. is it reliable?

NavyJetMech
    Thank you guys for responding. Looks like it's not much to write home about. Well, at least it will pull a skier while I'm overhauling the v-drive. It's 17', hoping I'll do at least 40 mph
    Boaters rock. One of the few sports in the world where we are genuinely friendly/helpfull. especially when we are spanking the boat next boat us.

1Bahnerjet
    17' ? Bet its a Haskell.
    ------
    Slip n' Slide

NavyJetMech
    no idea, title just says manufactured by california...here is a pic

bordsmnj
    looks simaler to a 78 sleekcraft i used to have. i thought i had a 73 untill i pulled the gas tank and the label said manufactured for sleekcraft-1978. if it's a bow tank use a mirror dentist style and a flash light maybed there's a label that say's" manufactured for_____." my label was right next to the sending unit and fuel outlet cap.(centered and toward the rear on the top side)

waterslinger
    Dude, I know it is a black sheep but that AMC motor will make gobs of power with good prep work. If you can find the parts
    make her a 401. I am out of the loop now but still have a soft spot for AMC's

navy jet,
    my guess would be a Hornet. It's kinda hard to tell from one pic, but it looks like one of Marty Hatchels smaller offerings. He used, althought not exclusively, lots of the AMC/panther power combos. He also bought his name plates 'Hornet' straight from the local AMC dealer. I don't know what his vin # started with, but Jack Mc would know. He was friends with him and Martys 19 footer ended up being a 'Liberty' after much re-working, among many other copies. Post the same question over on Banderlog or the RJB board, Jack hangs out over there.
    That windshield is the wrong one for that boat by the way. That boat shouldn't even have one, but that one's off a 16' Sidewinder/Tahiti Tarino.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast