Thread: Thoughts on this cam?

topgun
    Boat is 16' (1000lbs) with Chevy 350. Brodix heads, headers, mechanical fuel injection, 9.5:1 comp. Direct drive inboard. Talked to a couple of cam companies and am leaning towards this one.
    Lunati Hydraulic Roller 2200-6800rpm
    242/252@.050 .525/.540 lift 112' lobe separation
    I know I'll lose some low end and holeshot, but the boat is so light I don't think it will be a problem. Any thoughts or other cams I might look into? Lunati was the only tech line that gave me choices where he was trying to fit my application and not just trying to sell me something that was for a different application. Others said this one is a jetboat cam, or it's for an I/O but it might work for you etc.

H2OT PURSUIT
    From what I have heard and read, here and other places, I think that cam would work nicely.

Challenger olds
    Just look at the catalog and go straight to the "Bottom of the page"....Moneypitt

Dennis Moore
    That camshaft is way to big for a low compression engine like yours. It is designed for a 12:1 compression ratio racing engine. Even with the 112 degree lobe separation angle (considered wide for most automotive racing applications but average for a marine engine) you will be sucking water back into the cylinders with just about any wet exhaust system. The high intake port vacuum from the individual runner FI system will aggravate the water ingestion problem too.
    I would suggest a solid roller lifter camshaft like the Comp Cams XR268R 230/236 intake/exhaust duration .562/.564 intake/exhaust lift on a 110 LSA. This should put your maximum horsepower at around 6000 rpm and work a little better with the low compression and wet exhaust.
    Dennis Moore

topgun
    Dennis,
    Thanks for the reply. That cam seemed to be a little healthy on the duration. Lunati told me that they could do it on 114' lobe centers to help with reversion. I don't have any pistons yet so comp. ratio is variable. I'll look into that Comp cam. Trouble with them was that I talked with a "tech" there and the guy could barely speak english. He was trying to sell me on a cam for a jet boat that he pulled up on his computer and it was weak on duration and lift, he had only one other choice and didn't know what an inboard was.
    I just gave up talking to him. I'll look at the one you're talking about.
    Thanks for the help,
    John H.

Kindsvater Flat
    I use Erson for all my cams. I call and he asks me all kinds of questions about the motor, what gears in the v-drive box, what propeller, what I use the boat for, and hull weight. So far they have never steered me wrong. I have tried the "book" cams and they just aren't the same as having one spec'd for a boat.