Thread: Intake ? 's dual Carbs V/S single

Bryan Rose
    Hello all ,
    Another ? about the intakes, I now have a tunnel Ram Wieand and a pair of 660's on top, thing runs great no hesitation, bog or anything else, just burns a ton of fuel . My engine builder , and a lot of other people say it is a waste, and to go to a high performance single set up, Team G, Edelbrock, etc..with a 850 cfm carb, like a demon or 4500 HP . I am only turning this motor to 5500 tops and need some advice here. What is the best set up? Can you have the same performance or better with a single set up? Help..
    Bryan

MikeF
    4 accelerator pumps move more fuel than just 2.
    The 14.7#'s of air pressure in the float bowls are pushing the extra fuel into the engine.

Hotcrusader76
    Dual 660s only have a total of 2 accelerator pumps (50cc diaphragm with 0.032-0.035" squirter holes)

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Bryan Rose
    Hello all ,
    Another ? about the intakes, I now have a tunnel Ram Wieand and a pair of 660's on top, thing runs great no hesitation, bog or anything else, just burns a ton of fuel . My engine builder , and a lot of other people say it is a waste, and to go to a high performance single set up, Team G, Edelbrock, etc..with a 850 cfm carb, like a demon or 4500 HP . I am only turning this motor to 5500 tops and need some advice here. What is the best set up? Can you have the same performance or better with a single set up? Help..
    Bryan
    The 660's were built for drag racing, period. Tunnel ram carb. If you put a nice single plain with an 850 I doubt you will notice any difference in perfomance. If you are going to buy new get an hp, demons are junk, I have seen a few that dont run for shit. Just my two cents thou.

H2OT PURSUIT
    Hello all ,
    Bryan
    I think that if you believe a guy is knowledgable enough to have him build your engine, you should probably listen to him.

Dennis Moore
    If you get the air/fuel ratio balanced for maximum horsepower and/or maximum fuel economy the engine doesn't care how many carburetors it has. All carburetors have an adjustment to calibrate the air/fuel mixture (jets) and you can adjust/jet them to be too rich or too lean. A two- four barrel tunnel ram can be jetted to be too lean just like a single four barrel.
    There is a big advantage from having eight barrels feeding eight cylinders, it's called good fuel distribution to the cylinders. Each carb barrel has a straight shot into each intake port.
    If the automotive industry didn't need a low profile hood most of the carbureted automotive engines would have come equipped with a high rise, individual port, tunnel ram system for perfect fuel distribution.
    A single plane four barrel intake manifold is a compromise between hood clearance and performance.
    To cut down on the accelerator pump shot you can reduce the plenum volume for better fuel economy at low speeds.
    Dennis

LakesOnly
    I now have a tunnel Ram Wieand and a pair of 660's on top, ...just burns a ton of fuel .
    Welcome to the world of tunnel rams, Bryan.
    My engine builder, and a lot of other people, say it is a waste and to go to a high performance single set up with a 850 cfm carb, like a demon or 4500 HP. Can you have the same performance or better with a single set up?
    Bryan
    Technically speaking, I think the t/r and two 4BBL's will give you better high-performance. Also, a lot of people out there think tunnel rams are all about top end, but they actually help significantly in the mid-range too.
    It is true that a proper single 4BBL can be set-up to provide very, very good performance--this is definitely true as far as performance vs. cost is concerned when compared to a t/r set-up.
    And if your primary concern is the additional amount of fuel burned with a t/r vs. slightly less power gain over an excellently set-up single, then you might consider a single 4 BBL.
    I was downright shocked and astonished at the amount of fuel my tunnel ram and 660's swallows. But I'm never going back; my next motor will have two 850's on top. Try and beat that with your 4500.
    LO