Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk drive?

THOR
    I am looking at a boat that is running a blackhawk drive and was curious as to what makes these drives different.
    Any thoughts or experiences?
    Good? Bad?
    thanks in advance

DogHouse
    Thor, the blackhawk is a really short Bravo with dual counter-rotating props. They were usually mounted with an extremely high X dimension to maximize top end speed. The boats that I've seen with this drive ran significantly faster up top (5-10 mph) than they would have with a more normal X, but they were lazy out of the hole and threw a lot of water even at low speeds, not good for skiing. I have never seen anyone running big HP with one, and I'm not sure what sort of upgrade parts are available.
    What kinds of boats are you looking at?
    -brian

THOR
    I am looking at a 22 Daytona with a 502 w/ a Blackhawk drive. What do you think?
    [ July 22, 2003, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: THOR ]

DogHouse
    As I recall that package was good for something like 90+ mph with the HP500, nice and fast with stock reliable power. I think you should definitely test drive first to make sure you're happy with the holeshot and low speed manners. Not sure if you're planning on skiing or tubing with the boat but it could be a factor with the drive setup like that.
    -brian

THOR
    Thanks man!

Havasu Hangin'
    DogHouse:
    Thor, the blackhawk is a really short Bravo with dual counter-rotating props...I think the Blackhawk was very similar to a shortened Bravo 3. With the shorter gearcase, it raised the X-Dimension, which would make sense on a shallow tunnel, where the engine height options are limited.
    I believe it was meant to be a surface drive, with the counter-rotating props providing the bite.

THOR
    Havasu Hangin':
    DogHouse:
    Thor, the blackhawk is a really short Bravo with dual counter-rotating props...I think the Blackhawk was very similar to a shortened Bravo 3. With the shorter gearcase, it raised the X-Dimension, which would make sense on a shallow tunnel, where the engine height options are limited.
    I believe it was meant to be a surface drive, with the counter-rotating props providing the bite. That is kind of what I thought too, but wasnt the Bravo III meant to give a good hole shot thus taking a little away in the top end?
    THOR(all confused again)

HavasuDreamin'
    Yes. The Bravo III is a holeshot and low end type drive as I understand it. Great for pushing heavy loads. The difference is the X-dimension. The Bravo III is way low, and the Black Hawk is a surface piercing style drive. Thus, the B-III gets undisturbed water to get a good bite, and the Black Hawk is trying to bite disturbed "white water".
    In considering a Black Hawk drive, I would ask a few high performance Merc. repair shops and see what is available by way of parts should something break.
    One other thing to consider, and I may be wrong on this, but I didn't think the Black Hawk drives had power trim.
    Last but not least, the Black Hawks were mated to the 502 mag motors. This is the only motor you could get a Black Hawk drive with.
    [ July 23, 2003, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Havasu Hangin'
    THOR:
    That is kind of what I thought too, but wasnt the Bravo III meant to give a good hole shot thus taking a little away in the top end?Yes, until you surface it.
    The bite of dual props (Volvos too) means that there is alot of blade (drag) in the water on the top end. In most cases, you want as little blade as possible for top end (without blowout).
    A Blackhawk will have less prop (and gearcase) in the water. A single prop Bravo would probably blowout (and slip) that close to the surface.
    But I'm an idiot...so consider the source.

DogHouse
    Havasu Hangin':
    But I'm an idiot...so consider the source. Can we quote you on that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast