Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: quad rotor

Booster
    Hello Dustin
    I'am building a blown 598" BBC to compete in Hot Rod magazine's Pump Gas Drags. I was about to purchase the ATI F-2 ProCharger when I came across this thread
    I noticed you advised Turbo 666 that he would need a 3.3L Quad Rotor for his 600" motor so I assume I would need the same. I was wondering, since I haven't pruchased the ATI kit from John yet, what would the price be if you swapped out the 2.3's for 3.3's?
    Thanks.
    chaychay@cox.net

Infomaniac
    Booster - sounds like a great project.
    Tell us more.

Fastnuf
    Booster
    If you can't get a deal on the 3.3L quad rotor, you might want to try one of these. I think it will make a ton more power.
    http://www.members.cox.net/fastnuf/PSI.jpg

Whipple Charged
    Fastnuf,
    The PSI will not make more power, its almost exactly the same size in airflow, it has much larger tolerances between the rotor and casing due to the rotor size, weight and what it was initially built for. It also utilizes a very large radial entry creating more turbulence and more leakage. It's also about 5" taller and thats before you run the carb adapter that you'll have to fab. So "a ton more power" is not quite accurate. It's certainly a good compressor, it's rotor design is something that was designed about 40years ago, but has been proven effective. Our initial compressor, the Sprintex utilized the same rotor profile.
    I PM'd Booster.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Fastnuf
    Maybe I overstated that a bit, but I've seen so many PSI's on TAFC and TAD cars and no quad rotor blowers. I've even seen PSI's on some record holding boats.
    Sorry.

HEAVYBOAT
    Originally posted by Whipple Charged
    I would get a new crank and pistons, stroke it to 540ci and put compression at 7.5-8:1 compression, run 10-12lbs of boost which will make right at 1000hp at approx 5800-6000rpm which is probably 150-200 more than current. Thats usually about 10-15mph. And if you think it accelerates now, that will be unbelivable.
    Thanks,
    Dustin
    540 ci and 12 pounds of boost =1000 hp? Is this intercooled boost and would this perticular example be a single whipple or the quad?
    Thanks

Infomaniac
    Intercooled, Quad Rotor and very good cylinder heads.

HEAVYBOAT
    I was seriously considering a whipple and I do believe they are a great product. But I don’t find those stats on that motor that overly impressive. Maybe at that RPM range it might be, well not really. But as you know info anyone can make that power with a 540 ci 6500 rpm ,intercooled simple roots motor. Where’s the aww?
    I wonder if you were to spin that motor to a higher Rpm if the numbers would look a little more impressive.

Infomaniac
    My quad rotor 540's make 970 @ 6,200 on 7 lbs of boost. Compression set up for 12 lbs.
    Dart Pro 1 heads not CNC.
    I suspect it will exeed 1,100 if boosted to 12. All on pump gas.
    And yes HP is relative to RPM.
    A few more cubes will improve on that at the same RPM's
    How much can the every day drive handle anyway?
    Chose the Quad Rotor because of the extra 200 HP. The additional cost of the Whipple when already approaching 1,000 HP is cheap cheap HP. Boost is instant and constant unlike a Roots blower. Also idle quality is superior.

HEAVYBOAT
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    My quad rotor 540's make 970 @ 6,200 on 7 lbs of boost. Compression set up for 12 lbs.
    Dart Pro 1 heads not CNC.
    I suspect it will exeed 1,100 if boosted to 12. All on pump gas.
    And yes HP is relative to RPM.
    A few more cubes will improve on that at the same RPM's
    How much can the every day drive handle anyway?
    Chose the Quad Rotor because of the extra 200 HP. The additional cost of the Whipple when already approaching 1,000 HP is cheap cheap HP. Boost is instant and constant unlike a Roots blower. Also idle quality is superior.
    From my understanding the whipple was more efficient because of these two major factors.
    1.Less power to drive
    2.Cooler intake charge
    I never thought I would be trying to justify a roots blower to a whipple simply because I always thought the whipple was a superior power adder.. But this slug example has me baffled.
    How do you see 200 hp gains? I aslo made 940 hp with 7.4 pounds( 6100 rpm) of intercooled boost with using edelbrock STREET heads. I stopped at the 15 %overdrive mark.. who knows if I had more food left on the table, apparently that’s a tough question.
    Just wait till next month when I dyno this motor with a real head with the new roots rotors. You whipple guys better step it up if you want to continue to act like the BIGDOGS.I’ll have more dyno sheets and proven water times to back my mouth.
    I should make 1150 hp on a waterbreak dyno on gas using the 70's technology 871

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast