Thread: 75 18' Sleekcraft

esabataj
    Alright gang I've been a silent spectator here for awhile now, so put your claws in and take it easy on the fresh meat
    I'm looking at a very vintage, 1 owner 75 Sleekcraft 18' jet. Stock 455 olds and stock yj jaccuzi pump. Very clean boat with original jel in very good shape. Would it make a good first jet? Are there any pros or cons i need to be aware of and any known problems with these hulls i need to look at.
    Thanks for any input you can give me.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    the yj is a decent pump but not the best. I have one on my boat and the parts are outragous expensive and harder to come by. they are great ski boat pumps but not performance pumps. I guess it depends on what you want out of this boat. If you want a decent family ski boat go for it. If you want a hot rod find something with a berk/aggressor/etc pump but not a jacuzzi yj. the olds has oiling issues also. If it is stock and you intend to keep it that way go for it. Not a good start for a hotrod though.
    Omega

esabataj
    Can you tell me anything about the Sleekcraft hulls

Jet City
    I have a '78 Sleekcraft Sportster, its been a terriffic boat, and as far as I'm concerned a very solid and well made production hull. As stated, the Olds/Jacuzzi set-up might not be the best deal for all out performance, but if you are looking for a very sturdy, safe boat to go 65-70 mph in, I don't think it would be a bad first boat at all. My Sleek has a 460 Ford/Panther-Jet which is also not the best deal for performance, but it has been 100% reliable for 3 years now. But again, if going 80+ mph is your goal, settle for nothing less than a full stringer hull with 454 or 460 engine and Berkeley pump. Have any pics of this Sleekcraft?

Jet City
    Oh, as for the hull, you will have zero problems provided it currectly has no rot. Check the stringers, floor and the transom (especially around the exhaust exit locations), use an awl or screwdriver to see if the wood is at all soft in these locations.

Bitz
    Would the hull look like the sidewinder (ie the wrap around windshield) and seats on each side of the motor.?
    If it is its like the first jet I rode in. Nice deep V to smooth out the ride (a bit) and could yank a slalom skier right out of his ski on a shore start. Was a bit quirky slowing down as you had to settle down gradually or risk having water over the back of the boat as it dropped off plane.
    Fun boat depending on what you want. If you are looking at a toy and don't want to be the fastest jet around it would be great. If you start heading down the performance route it will get expensive. You are looking a major bucks to build a performance OLDs and to convert a YJ to a mixed flow( American turbine conversion) you are going to spend a bunch more.
    Long story short be sure you know what you want to do as the upgrades can get you to a point where you could have bought what you really wanted cheaper in the first place. ;-)

H2OT PURSUIT
    If you've been lurking for some time now you have no doubt noticed that general consensus seems to be that performance parts are less expensive and easier to find for big block ford a chevy engines. When built CORRECTLY they are powerful and reliable. The same is true for the Berkley pump. All that having been said, unless you can get the boat you mention dirt cheap, I mean so cheap that you know for sure that you could get what you paid or more anytime you wanted to sell it, I would keep looking for a boat with the ford or chevy and a Berkley. There are sooo many good deals out there it won't take all that long to find a nice one. I can't help but laugh when I hear " IF you want more performance later". I never met a jet boat guy that didn't want more performance. If your the kind of guy that wants a jet boat, your the kind of guy that wants a FAST jet boat.
    All the above is, of course, just my not so humble opinion.
    SCUBA, SKY or MUFF, NO DIVE TOO TUFF.

esabataj
    Thanks for the input. I'm just looking for a reliable lake boat but isn't that how it always starts. The sleek is priced right at $1500.(estate sale) . The old man that had it really maintained it well and always stored it inside, elevated in his boat house. There is not a knick,ding or mark anywhere on the bottom except for strap marks from the elevator. The trailer has not been used or registered for 24 years. The old man treated this boat as his baby and would only take it out once or twice a month as he felt the need for speed. The interier was totally redone in 1999 and the engine was rebuilt by a very reliable shop in Austin, TX in 2000. From looking at the reciept last weekend they punched it .030 over and left it totally stock as produced. At that price I don't think I can get hurt. What do you think.
    Thanks for the input. I'm going back this weekend and will shoot some pictures and post.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    THAT BOAT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD START. I WAS LUCKY, I FOUND MY BOAT'S PREVIOUS OWNER WAS ABOUT LIKE YOU DESCRIBE. THE FIRST TIME I SAW MY BOAT-T-BE WAS ON A 20 DEGREE WINTER DAY. I WALKED INTO THIS HUGE 90 DEGREE GREENHOUSE, AND THERE IT WAS. THE GUY SEEMED HONEST, AND LOOKING BACK A HALF DOZEN YEARS SINCE THE PURCHASE, HE DIDN'T OVERSTATE ANYTHING ABOUT THE 30 YR OLD SIDEWINDER. HE AND HIS SON HAD ALSO REDONE THE HULL PAINT, SEATS, INTERIOR, AND IT HAD A FRESH 454/BERK JG TOO. AGAIN I'LL SAY I WAS VERY LUCKY, SOME OF THE STORIES YA HEAR ABOUT BOAT PURCHASES MAKE YA THINK TWICE ABOUT WHO TO TRUST, AND WHO TO SAY "JUST LOOKING" TO...BILL.

AZKC
    If its all original and in great/good shape I think it would be a great 1st boat. Keep it original, learn the ins and outs of jet boating and then buy a hotrod boat if ya want to mess with something. Its nice to see old school boats in original condition
    KC