Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SouthWind Tunnel?

HammerDown
    Would I be correct in believing this boat is like a GullWing type of hull thats also like a Sunkist etc?
    Could someone post a pic of this SouthWind...thanks.

Bense468
    No a southwinds tunnel is a true tunnel. Not a gullwing

HammerDown
    Just what do ya mean a "true tunnel"? Like a Cat...no center pod...or a modified tunnel like a Daytona?

Jet City
    Aren't the SW tunnel and SW dragster one in the same, which is also what the later Placecrafts where based off.

HammerDown
    Originally posted by Jet City Rebel
    Aren't the SW tunnel and SW dragster one in the same, which is also what the later Placecrafts where based off.
    Your asking me Im asking you Need a pic posted of this SouthWind Tunnel....

The southwind tunnell is called a southwind tunnell dragster. You guys are talking about the same hull.
    It is a full tunnell boat, but the tunnels are VERY small or shallow, atleast they are when you compare them to a tunnell bottom like a performance or a daytona.The place and SW are very similar hulls,both need big horsepower to run big numbers.Great lake boats and a great looking hull in my opinion.

Jet City
    That question wasn't directed at you HD, I was just trying to get someone to verify that I was correct in that statement. I would have to concur with CS-19, a really bitchen looking hull.
    Heres your Southwind tunnel dragster pic
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...threadid=34930

Couple pics for you to study so you can remember what they look like. An easy way to tell its a SW is the extention or pod off the transom(both the placecraft and southwinds have these) usually the place will have a shorter extention or pod.The southwind has a small cover on top of this extention for access into the rear of the boat, and both boats will most likely have a set of fixed cavitation plates at the tops of the tunnells. I would think these plates only get used at lower speeds,atleast i hope they do.
    PICS
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...P00648-med.JPG
    In this pic you can see how shallow the tunnells actually are.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...P00651-med.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...p00481-med.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...p00479-med.jpg

HammerDown
    Wow, that really dose look like a placecraft...and not the gull wing hull I thought it was.
    OK so how's this boat in the heaver chop? Also how about the construction of this hull? Any odd handeling habits?
    Theres one not to far from me...thinking about it.
    Thanks for all the help...thats why this is a great place

Originally posted by HammerDown
    Wow, that really dose look like a placecraft...and not the gull wing hull I thought it was.
    OK so how's this boat in the heaver chop? Also how about the construction of this hull? Any odd handeling habits?
    Theres one not to far from me...thinking about it.
    Thanks for all the help...thats why this is a great place
    The boat kinda sucks in chop, but dont all low profile jets? I dont think your going to see a huge improvement for rough water in any of the low pro boats unless its a v-bottom, and who wants a v-bottom? JUST KIDDING v-bottom guys!!! Basically you have to putt around anytime the water is choppy,going fast just isnt an option in rough conditions.
    As far as the construction of the hull, i think its pretty dam good.We have had this boat since 1980,it does have a lake lay up,but it has been through hell and back- back in the day out at havasu it saw some pretty nasty stuff,it has held up very well in my opinion.For the most part there are no cracks due to stress.
    As far as the handling, No problems for us, it ran 98 mph at its best with no problems, I think its a very safe hull for the lake.I hear guys have ran big nitro motors in these hulls at very high speeds, I wouldnt worry about that, as long as your set up is close you should be fine.Go get the boat,you will love it.Hope this helps some.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast