Thread: Cutting the floor out while still on the trailer

Ranz1
    Its almost time to cut that old rotted floor out of my CVX-20. The boat sits on a bunk style trailer. Is this enough support for the hull to prevent damage of any kind? If not how should it be supported?
    Is it safe to cut the floor out and then trailer the boat to a HEATED garage to do the fiberglass work? Anthony

beached 1
    If it's the same trailer you pull the boat with then hell yes. There's nothing better. Assuming the trailer is in good shape of course..

Mark T. Packo
    I just did this with my 71 Sidewinder. Trailer supported load with motor in just fine.

Striker27
    The floor on that boat isnt the greatest. At the bow, mine went to something like 1/4 inch wood from the 1/2 inch that was on the rest of the fllor. Alot of floatation foam was between the two stringers on the outer most sides of the hull aswell. The floor on mine didnt really sit all that flush as well on the edges they used some kind of filler strip that just rotted away and then the floor sunk and after time cracked letting water infiltrate the wood. So their was alot of grinding and shaping to get it right. I also used some filler strips that were fiberglass so they wouldnt rot away overtime. That gave the floor the right height as per the one I cut out. Just remember to coat both sides of the plywood when you put it in because the area between the two stringers has a few holes that is open to the engine bilge. (those stupid rubber plugs) Then just fiberglass that darn thing in good. Good luck on that project I hated mine. But mine was so bad their was rot on the back areas under the storage compartments on either side of the engine hatch. Like I said before good luck...
    Striker

1HOTGMCJET
    I did mine on the trailer, but I suspended the hull to avoid creating further hook or possible damage - just made a cradle to suspend the rear at the transom, and suspended the front by putting the bow eye over the front "bump" roller like so:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...nded_Front.jpg
    and for the rear...........
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...Cradle-med.jpg
    This way, the keel stayed DEAD straight and the bottom areas didn't distort - just showing what worked for me.....Good Luck!

Bow Tie Omega
    I did this about one year ago to the still apart BTO. My boat is 21 ft. What I did was make sure that the trailer was level (jack stands and blocks) and then made sure that the boat also was level on the level trailer. The boat was level on the trailer after the trailer was level. While I did not fiberglass my stringers back in my self, I did fill and bond the bottom of the stringers to the boat with resin and fiberglass filler before towing it to Havasu Barneys. Barney was very pleased with my work on the stringers and the boat with the new stringers is true. Hope this helps...Joe