Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flexplate?

quiet riot
    I'm putting a flexplate on my new motor and got a ? With the flywheel thickness that I ran on the motor before, the crankshaft shoulder and the hub (pto?) shoulder fit inside the flywheel and didn't touch. With the flexplate being so thin the hub piece contacts the crankshaft shoulder and doesn't press against the flexplate. Is there a shim or different hub that I need? I was thinking of just turning the hub shoulder down to clear the shoulder on the crank (where the pilot bearing would normally go in.) I haven't found any places around here that have a shim or anything of the sort. Its for a sbf.
    Hope I made it clear enough. Has anyone else seen this with a flexplate on a jet or is it just an oddball thing for my small ford?
    thanx,
    jd

It takes a different PTO flange when running a flexplate vs a standard flywheel. They are machined differently.
    Check them out here (http://www.rexmar.com/page311.html)
    (although our catalog page lists only one number for the sb ford there are still 2 different ones I'm sure. That is probably an oversight on the catalog layout which I'm going to check out.)

Hustler
    Your going to need a new "power take off adaptor". I did the same thing with my motor over the summer. here's a link to Rex's page Power Take Off (http://www.rexmar.com/page311.html)

malcolm
    I am thinking about doing the same thing with my Olds. I was just going to fire up the lathe and turn a spacer to make up the difference after the flexplate. Any other ideas out there?

Hustler
    Damn you beat me to it. Go back to the V-drives

Originally posted by Hustler
    Damn you beat me to it. Go back to the V-drives
    Thanx. I'm leaving.

quiet riot
    Rexone, Thats kinda what I was thinking but when I called rexmar today the guy told me I needed to machine it. Could you double check and let me know?
    Thanx,
    jd

It is possible they only make one and that's why we only have one listed (based on popularity of that engines common usage). I will check it out tomorrow though. If that's the case then you could machine it probably fairly easily to fit.

Hustler
    The 242 200 is the one you want if you are going from a flywheel to a flex plate. make sure you buy the bolt kit to go along with it, trying to find the right allen in a Grade 8 is not easy.

he's got a small block ford, not a chevy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast