Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting transom remote

djunkie
    I just got my transom remote on friday and I just realized I have to cut a 3" hole in the transom to mount it. Are all of them like this? Its the Clarion CMRC1-SB. Is there another brand that will work with my Clarion headunit that doesn't require a 3" hole to be cut? I'm really not liking cutting a hole that big.

djunkie
    Nice. How big is the remote, the size of a small entertainment center?
    I never really thought about having to cut a big hole. I thought they only had a couple small holes to mount them. Heres a pic of it.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...01_Medium_.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...02_Medium_.jpg

phebus
    If thats the remote you want, and it works with your head unit, drill the hole, and mount it. The size of the hole doesn't matter if it's one inch, or three inches, the remote fills it.
    Just tape good first, drill a seperate hole for the pilot hole for the hole saw, run the hole saw in reverse to work through the gel coat, then run the hole saw through. The hole will come out really clean. I would seal it with some resin, and then mount the remote with some silicone. Good to go.

djunkie
    If thats the remote you want, and it works with your head unit, drill the hole, and mount it. The size of the hole doesn't matter if it's one inch, or three inches, the remote fills it.
    Just tape good first, drill a seperate hole for the pilot hole for the hole saw, run the hole saw in reverse to work through the gel coat, then run the hole saw through. The hole will come out really clean. I would seal it with some resin, and then mount the remote with some silicone. Good to go.
    Ya thats what I'm gonna do. But its just extremely hard justifying drilling a 3" hole in my transom. :cry: :cry:

phebus
    Ya thats what I'm gonna do. But its just extremely hard justifying drilling a 3" hole in my transom. :cry: :cry:
    I agree, but at least that's a great looking remote. I assume it's very water resistant if your mounting it on the transom.

djunkie
    I agree, but at least that's a great looking remote. I assume it's very water resistant if your mounting it on the transom.
    It better be.....LOL!!!!!!!!! I'm going to ask a lot of questions and get more info on this before I start drilling holes. :rollside:

djunkie
    I was gonna mount it between the left side grab handle and the ski tow.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...12_Medium_.jpg

jbtrailerjim
    I didn't like the idea of drilling a hole in my transom like that either. To late now though. But I've had two trouble free summers with my Clarion remote. It's definitely water proof.

djunkie
    I didn't like the idea of drilling a hole in my transom like that either. To late now though. But I've had two trouble free summers with my Clarion remote. It's definitely water proof.
    Cool. Thanks. I need support like this. I'm working up to it. :rollside:

Sotally Tober
    If you want a smaller hole I will trade you my older style clarion remote. They take a lot smaller hole They stick out about 3/4". They are hard to press the buttons. But definatly waterproof. The new ones are a lot nicer. Where did you get it? I would like to change mine, I have a transom, and helm as the HU is in the bathroom. I thought it would be nice to have one on the bow for when I'm beached. 3 of them aren't cheap. Good luck. You will love it once you have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast