Thread: Nitro Clearances

Fiat48
    I have gotten with some of the fuel racers and we have discussed main bearing problems as the HP and boost go up. I got an email from a known fuel racer in Nostalgia. This was his approach to better bearing life. Thought you might enjoy.
    He writes:
    We fought an oiling problem ,we now run .0065to.007on the mains with aluminium caps ,we changed 2 bearings in 2 years,
    we used steel maincaps and they had a different growth rates -another problem ! Aluminium-aluminium-is best .
    we use a titan oil. pump @120#billet fab oil pan -13 qts.
    we use King bearings(easier to get .001 under or over localy)or C&A narrowed bearings ,
    the priority oiling system used restrictors in the front-behind cam gear- and rear of the motor
    check the cam bearing holes when the mains are out
    .Where they machine the oil passages on the K/B olds they get thin at the bottom it can leak at that point ,
    on the Arias block there is a little trough under the bearing upper half on each side of the main oil hole,we opened the oil holes up to 5/16 ,and drilled a 1/8 hole on each side of the main hole for more oil to the mains
    we run Prolong every oil change
    every third race we check the line hone ,as it seems to tighten up .001or so ,we just stay on top of it , we also stayed on top of the rods every once in a while we tighten up 1or 2 rods .001-.002 we just resize them at this point
    we have had to step up our maitnence program ,bare frame every race ,but its cheaper than motors we have run 45 6.0 runs -no failures

Nstigator74
    I would have never guessed that the steel main caps would have less predictable-consistant growth rate.
    Kinda makes you go hmmm

Fiat48
    One thing for sure. If a Titan oil pump can keep up with .0065 to .007 clearance, it's one Hell of a pump. The aluminum caps and the line hone tightening up kinda strange. But it works for him. He's about the 4th guy that mentions Prolong also. 1 guy runs 1 qt of it.

Nstigator74
    I've always been sceptical on those oil treatments........I always thought they were VOODOO, but maybe the technology is finally there

gnarley
    Originally posted by Nstigator74
    I've always been sceptical on those oil treatments........I always thought they were VOODOO, but maybe the technology is finally there
    I was at the SEMA show and went to the other hall where the Prolong booth was & was able to talk a little during booth setup. What I got was Prolong is not like other additives, they have actual patients on the formula unlike what they call chemical cocktails that everyone else produces. I'm going to try it, it just might help.

Fiat48
    The word I got was that Dale Armstrong was using it to cure some gauling that was happening on the ends of the pushrods in the KB fuel car. Other guys went to it and it solved their problems also. But the Budwieser car was sponsored by Prolong anyway.