Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: A little history

superdave013
    Originally posted by BOAT ANCHOR
    Before driving Crazy Horse, Al Bush drove his personal Blown Fuel Flat by the name of IRON HORSE. It was a 1974 Kurtis with a bottom that had huge runners (over 1 inch deep). He took over the driving duties on the Crazy Horse boat after Rick Lee (Ski Centurion Fame) flipped/crashed the boat at Long Beach Marine Stadium in 1975. Who is SAM AND PEGGY HONDO???.It was Irv Brendel and his wife Peggy who owned Hondo Boats. It was the Great "Rapid Raymond Caselli" in his Hondo BFF 007 Panic Mouse and all the success the Panic Mouse boat had, as well as some others (Sonny Jones, Del Palmer, Jeff Spitzig, Del Macino, Mike Brendel, Wyane Mettler, Virgil Feilds, Jim Cole) that helped to propel Hondo Boats to the success that they were, LONG BEFORE Al Bush ever got his hands one. After Bush got his hands on one, he certianly contributed to Hondo's sucuess. Howard Brown and Jim Cole never swapped flatbottom and cruiser molds or splashed each others boats. Irv Brendel splashed Howards extremely successful (at the time) hydro (Down n Out) some time in 1971. After Irv introduced the XH-511his FIRST Runner Bottom (HONDO)in late 1971, Howard decided to get back at Irv for splashing his hydro, and splashed Irvs XH-511, and called it the Howard XH-512.Irv and Howard use to place ads in Raceboat and Industry News on oppoising pages advertising their boats.Irvs ad would be on the left page saying "Introducing the new Hondo XH-511", and on the right page Howard's ad would read "Introducing the new Howard XH-512 Tunnel Runner, JUST ONE BETTER." It was a great ad.Wyane Mettler started his boating career at Hondo Boats in the late 1960s/early 70s(he drove Bob And Mona Watts Unblown Fuel Flatbottom "FRANTIC RAT") He was there until 76 or 77, when he went to work for Jim Cole. He didn't stay at Coles very long, and was doing installations out of his house on bare hulls that he purchased from Sonny DiMarco.He called his business Canyon Marine (due to it's location in Canyon Country Ca.) and sometime in the early 80s he purchased Sonny DiMarcos molds (Sonny had to close down his business and sell his molds due to a law suit) moved into a shop and Canyon Marine was under way.
    How's the cruiser comming along?
    See ya at the swap meet sunday.

Originally posted by smalls
    I did miss on a couple of names. It was Kenny Macintosh not Sam Kurtovich. It was Gary Meskovich not Gary Kincaid. I still am pretty sure Crazy Horse ran once over 180,
    GM
    I don't remember CH goin that fast. I don't remember the year but Rick Williams Trojan Ghost dragboat (post TG Kboat era) went a 173 or somethin but couldn't back it up for the record at Los Gatos I think (Oneil Forebay near San Luis Res?). That was suposedly the fastest a BFF had run at that time and as I remember (which isn't that well), Bush was about wrapped up with Crazy Horse by then.

1Bahnerjet
    Boat Anchor,
    Wasn't it Hondo and Cole that had a Running Feud ?
    Crazy Horse in BOTH ad's
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...LLSHIT-med.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../43HDO-med.jpg
    Rexone it was Los Banos, O'neill Forebay
    Who's Sam Hondo ?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Originally posted by Rexone
    I don't remember CH goin that fast. I don't remember the year but Rick Williams Trojan Ghost dragboat (post TG Kboat era) went a 173 or somethin but couldn't back it up for the record at Los Gatos I think (Oneil Forebay near San Luis Res?). That was suposedly the fastest a BFF had run at that time and as I remember (which isn't that well), Bush was about wrapped up with Crazy Horse by then.
    Rex, I interviewed Rick Williams at the 2000 boat racers re-union. He said in the interview that he and partner Richard Bennet with Jerry Hicks driving, ran 173.9 mph at Los Banos on 40% nitro. That was in a Cole.
    We also did interviews with Sanger Jack, Schwabby, Nick Barron, Rudy R. and several others. Greg Shoemaker did most of the interviews.
    Next time I make a delivery down there Ill bring you a copy. Jerry

racingfastflats
    I believe we have discussed this subject in earlier posts about how fast Al Bush has ran in the Crazy Horse. If my memory serves me right, he ran 176 and some change in St. Louis and that was the fastest pass made in a BFF. What's ironic is that a TAF driver has also ran this speed and i believe it was in 95 or 96 up in Red Bluff. You won't need any clues as this team dominated and held both ends of the record in that class . Who was the driver?

Well 1B at least I had the "Los" and the "forebay" part right...
    Thanks VDV, I'd like to see that.

haulina29
    Arlen and Sonny were never partners they used the same molds , 176 is the fastest BFF pass and what BillyB says is correct

BGMAN203
    Originally posted by racingfastflats
    I believe we have discussed this subject in earlier posts about how fast Al Bush has ran in the Crazy Horse. If my memory serves me right, he ran 176 and some change in St. Louis and that was the fastest pass made in a BFF. What's ironic is that a TAF driver has also ran this speed and i believe it was in 95 or 96 up in Red Bluff. You won't need any clues as this team dominated and held both ends of the record in that class . Who was the driver?
    That would be the Rick Jackson owned, and Greg Cooper driven Flatzilla TAF

BOAT ANCHOR
    Billy B;
    Before you cry "WRONG", it appears you didn't keep all of your old issues of Race Boat And Industry News.Let me direct your attention to the July 1975 issue, page 25, article entitled "The Worlds Fastest Blown Fuel Flatbottom", by Kevin Spaise.It goes on to say
    "It hasn't always been Al Bush in the illuminous Crazy Horse spotlight. The boat debuted at the NDBA National Championships at Long Beach Ca. August 1973, with a daring new comer at the controls - a gutsy guy named RICK LEE who was tabbed by everyone as the next true superstar of dragboat racing. In LEE'S first try at the watery quater he turned a 136 - plus mph run. After winning the prestigious nationals he proceeded to another of the circuits premier events - The 7th Annual Race Boat And Industry News Fuel & Gas World Championships - and won that race hands down.LEE made a name himself and the boat - with consistent wins through that season. But at the end of the year at the Nationals in Long Beach, August 1974 the Cinderella story romance between LEE and Crazy Horse turned into a big fat pumpkin, exactly one year after it began. He got a little out of shape and then a lot out of shape and before he knew it he was on his head.LEE was virtually uninjured physically, but he would never drive a fueler again - at least not the way he wanted to. Pete and Marline Kaiser were devastated at the loss of their boat. They both wanted out of dragboat racing for a little while, but Marline finally talked Pete into another boat. Three weeks later at the next race a unpainted Hondo was towed slowly through the pits. A huge supercharged Chrysler sat between the stringers. It was Crazy Horse ready to run. RICK LEE was also back and wanted back in the boat. After only a half - pass, however LEE and Crazy Horse parted company forever. He couldn't drive it the way he wanted to drive it - so he didn't want to drive it. A frantic request was relayed over the PA system. Crazy Horse needed a driver!!!. The request produced four candidates. Two backed off when they learned their potential ride was a blown fuel flatbottom. Another of the four was totally inexperienced, and the fourth candidate was Al Bush. Bush who had run against the Crazy Horse in earlier days with his own fuel flatbottom ironically tabbed IRON HORSE liked the way Kaiser's Hondo worked. He was a qualified wheel man and he was ready. On October 6, 1974 Bush's first race day in Crazy Horse, he went 151,153, and finally 155.70 mph - a new Kern County Boat Club Record. Less than one month later Bush shattered the NDBA record formerly held by Larry Schwabenland with an amazing 156.25 mph pass. The rest is history".
    Billy - you are right about Al Bush being "beached" by the NDBA for running between the buoys and the rocks/beach at Long Beach Marine Stadium. Bush did have to sit out a few races for that stunt. It was an awesome pass, I was at the race and witnessed it. It seemed as though he was only five to eight feet from shore when he made that pass. This happened later in his career around 1976 or 1977. By 1976 Rick Lee (Billy, your right again) was driving a JET BOAT - Peggy Ann Brendel's FACTORY HONDO "K" JET BOAT "HURRY ROUND HONDO" and showing all the vdrive K boats the way around the race course at Lake Ming. The boat was untouchable.

FLYTE RISK
    WOW I thought Crazy horse went 178M.P.H Oh well I am happy my hondo does an honest 78 !! Hmm Where can I get an extra 100 m.p.h?? Cool thread SmallZZ!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast