Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can a prop give bow lift???

SchellSchock
    Props....so many choices and way to much conflicting infor....
    What I did was take mine, (F8 DuoProps) to the pros and told em what I was trying to accomplish. Wa-La better top end, same hole shot etc. (4 mph improvement. RiverToysJas...keep in mine that changing the size and or pitch just might get you what you are looking for. I know that the mpf difference on my boat changed the running attitude and moved the wetted surfaced back quite a bit.
    Just my $.02

steve@kps
    gnarley, i don't mind answering or "helping" w/ any questions. I can only speak from my expierences. I just hate conflict. My ideas may be different from someone elses. There are many different things to do to props, and everyone seems to think there way is the only way. I say bull shit, correct a problem w/ the blades and put the rpms where they need to be and work the blades to create the correct amount of lift and wa-lah, you have a great running boat. I just don't want to be considered as the only person that knows what to do to everyones boat.
    Your more than welcome to e-mail directly or ask for my opinion here. Or at bassboatcentral.com under the props forum.
    Ya'll be cool.
    [ January 16, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: steve@kps ]

SchellSchock
    Here is some good info from Popular Mechanics
    web page

gnarley
    SchellSchock, to bad that comparison didn't use the same diameter props of different styles to really see what could happen. Is it fair to compare a 13 3/4 x 21 to a 14 3/4 x 23??? I don't think so, but this showed more of what the different designs could do without explaining what those design differences were.
    Steve you have email.
    [ January 16, 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: gnarley ]

Kim Hanson
    I know that mine isn't an I/O, but I run this 14.5/30 pitch merc chopper.I was told on HavasuBarney that chopper's are bow lifter's and cleaver's are stern lifter's....( . )( . ).... wink [img]http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/30-pitch.JPG[/img]

Infomaniac
    Kim you need to raise that engine about 6 inches. Maybe more
    [ January 16, 2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

RiverToysJas
    SchellSchock:
    RiverToysJas...keep in mine that changing the size and or pitch just might get you what you are looking for. I know that the mpf difference on my boat changed the running attitude and moved the wetted surfaced back quite a bit.
    Thanks, I'll probably start by seeing what happens when I go up to the 24" prop.
    Lots of great info in here, I'm glad I asked!!!
    Thanks guys, RTJas

steve@kps
    Kim, that's one BAD ASS ride!
    your right on the blade performance description. If you tried to run a cleaver style prop on that boat, i doubt you'd be able to turn the wheel. Plus, it would probably chinewalk severly.
    VERY cool boat, have a great summer!

SchellSchock
    gnarley
    SchellSchock, to bad that comparison didn't use the same diameter props of different styles to really see what could happen. Is it fair to compare a 13 3/4 x 21 to a 14 3/4 x 23??? I don't think so, but this showed more of what the different designs could do without explaining what those design differences were.
    I agree thought this was a decent starting place though. If you do a search for "props" there is like 200 items returned so tons of info.

Ian
    I know my boat is probably much slower than most of yours, but I think it performs well for what I got. It's an 87 Bahner with a 265HP 350 and an Alpha 1 running a 23 pitch Quicksilver SS 3 blade. With two people and about twenty gallons of gas it runs 60MPH at about 4800 rpm's, it also planes real quickly, it doesn't porpose at all, but it does seem to chine a little.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/106-0604_IMG.JPG[/img]
    [ January 17, 2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Ian ]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast