Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It Was 100 Years Ago Today - What Does It Mean To You?

MagicMtnDan
    The first successful sustained powered flights in a heavier-than-air machine were made in North Carolina by Wilbur and Orville Wright on December 17, 1903. A 60-foot granite monument dedicated in 1932, is perched atop 90-foot tall Kill Devil Hill commemorating the achievement of these two visionaries from Dayton, Ohio.
    Click here for a link to the National Park Service site for Kill Devil Hill in NC, site of the Wright Brothers first flight (http://www.nps.gov/wrbr/)
    http://www.tl.infi.net/~docwrite/Col.../Wrights1.jpeg
    Like many technological advances, powered flight has made our lives significantly richer. From allowing us to travel to places we otherwise probably wouldn't have seen to shipping/receiving products around the world, we all benefit in many ways from powered flight. Since I was a little boy I have always loved airplanes and aircraft. This is an exciting day and it's amazing to think about how far powered flight has come in 100 years!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    I heard on the radio this morning that they are having a ceremony today to rename the Burbank Airport the "Bob Hope" Airport. Not too sure why, but I think it's cool to name anything after Bob Hope after all he did for our troops. His humor and wit will be sorely missed.
    Big celebrations in Kitty Hawk, NC and Ohio today, I'm sure.

The flight was late and they lost Wilbur's luggage....it has gone down hill from there.

LaveyJet
    Wright Bros first flight 120 feet in 12 seconds.
    SR71, 9 miles in 12 seconds.

Essex502
    Without flight we wouldn't have international travel - terrorists, September 11, nuclear bombs dropping on Japan, SARS in North America, worry about bio-terrorism, billions spent on a war in Iraq that most of the people in the U.S. don't support, etc., etc., etc....

MJ19
    Well without flight my hubby wouldn't be able to fly home today...and that would make me very sad...so YEAH for planes!!!

Essex502
    Originally posted by MJ19
    Well without flight my hubby wouldn't be able to fly home today...and that would make me very sad...so YEAH for planes!!!
    But remember...he wouldn't have been away (by plane) to begin with!

MJ19
    Originally posted by Essex502
    But remember...he wouldn't have been away (by plane) to begin with!
    Like I said...YEAH for planes
    Little girlie "cave time" needed now and then too ya'know

Infomaniac
    Originally posted by Essex502
    Without flight we wouldn't have international travel - terrorists, September 11, nuclear bombs dropping on Japan, SARS in North America, worry about bio-terrorism, billions spent on a war in Iraq that most of the people in the U.S. don't support, etc., etc., etc....
    Thats about the stupidest thing I have read in a while.
    Not a secret I am an Airline Maintenance Supervisor.

Jbb
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    Thats about the stupidest thing I have read in a while.
    Not a secret I am an Airline Maintenance Supervisor.
    Really ...
    You also would not have
    -Angel flights.. Bringing People in need of critical medical treatments to the cities those treatments are in...For Free
    -Disaster aid ...Flown in supplies and volunteers to disaster areas within hours.....
    Professional sports teams you enjoy on tv...Playing on one coast tonight and another tomorrow...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast