Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It Was 100 Years Ago Today - What Does It Mean To You?

Essex502
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    Thats about the stupidest thing I have read in a while.
    Not a secret I am an Airline Maintenance Supervisor.
    You have to remember with every technological paradigm shift there are negatives as well as positives. Managing the negatives well is a sign of a mature society. We are not such a society.
    Mark my words...the coming pandemic will be a direct result of not managing rapid global transportation. It may not occur with this influenza outbreak but it is coming.

Laveyman
    Sweet pics! Some real classic birds there! Thanks.

XTRM22
    While I don't necessarily agree with Essex502's opinion, doesn't having someone willing to play Devils Advocate make these threads more interesting? For me, I don't think you can be a performance boat lover without at least having a secret jones for airplanes, way to much shared technology! I know that the tunnel tabs on a cat work kinda like (elevators, help me out aeronautical guys) a little down trim causes the tunnel to pack more air = more lift= more speed. I'm wanting to work out a seaplane ride someday, we used to watch this Grumman Albotros land on Roosevelt lake it was kind of amazing to sea the transformation from plane to boat and vice versa. I didn't even mind the fact that the guy had a wing pod that electrically lowered a jetski out of it. Very Very Cool Thanks for the pictures of those classic birds.
    Chuck

Essex502
    Actually, I love planes and flying - also go to just about every airshow in SoCal. Just pointing out the negatives as well as positives.

Infomaniac
    Originally posted by Essex502
    Without flight we wouldn't have international travel - terrorists, September 11, nuclear bombs dropping on Japan, SARS in North America, worry about bio-terrorism, billions spent on a war in Iraq that most of the people in the U.S. don't support, etc., etc., etc....
    Yea there are always negatives but:
    Flight is not the only form of international travel, has nothing to do with terrorists existing, Sep 11 happened at least 1,900 times before flight, and bio-terrorism has nothing to do with flight.

Freak
    Without flight we also would not have the technology that came out of fight to apply to other areas.

Essex502
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    Yea there are always negatives but:
    Flight is not the only form of international travel, has nothing to do with terrorists existing, Sep 11 happened at least 1,900 times before flight, and bio-terrorism has nothing to do with flight.
    The 1,900 other times that planes were purposely flown into tall buildings happened - exactly when - before "flight"?
    Bio-terrorism is facilitated by the ability to rapidly move from one continent to another. Without flight the Middle East would probably not be in the state of affairs it is in let alone giving "opportunity" to readily bring terrorists to our country.

Essex502
    Originally posted by Freak
    Without flight we also would not have the technology that came out of fight to apply to other areas.
    And...specifically what technology would that be? Remeber the operative word is "flight".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast