Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: not guilty you around?

Outnumbered
    Thanks guys. Gnarley, that sucks that it blew apart on you. Should'nt u-joints get a little noisy before they let go? Also, my father-in-law is a old timer boater and says to be careful with the OMC when starting it since the drive comes up so far. Make sure the drive is down to minimize the angle on the u-joints. You probably know this but just thought I would let ya know.
    OL

gnarley
    OL, Yeah it sucks but I can do all the repairs for less than the cost of someone else doing an inspection & then the repairs had I done this before I started trusting the damn thing I have also recently learned about the angles when starting, your input just reinforces its necessity! I wish I would of learned sooner but the damage was done long before I bought it. The only thing I ever heard was some noise when turning & it seems like every O/D I have ever been in made a little noise on hard turns. I did have a very slight vibration that seemed inconsistent & attributed it to the engine running intermittently on 7 as I found a blown head gasket & have since repaired, then it broke when testing after the head gasket had been replaced. I don't know if there was any other way for me to know

not guilty
    OK been a while , let me try this
    1st- notice cracks at base of stem on coupler
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/coupler1.JPG[/img]
    2nd-see where center has slipped
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/coupler2.JPG[/img]
    hope this worked lavey
    Darn I,m good......Keep in mind the most frequent problem with couplers is miss alignment. Every time a motor is pulled it should be checked when put back.. NG
    [ September 19, 2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: not guilty ]

not guilty
    Gnarley- not a real good pic , just took a shot of it in its resting place. Ill take some better ones next outing and put up.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/88_mach.JPG[/img]

gnarley
    NG, any good info for us on how to check the alignment in the home shop after a reinstall of the engine?

Outnumbered
    Gnarley,
    Do you have a factory service manual? It is in there. If you don't let me know I will try to get the info on the guy I bought mine from. He is an OMC dealer in Hawaii. Cost me about $60 I think. But it has already paid for itself. Basically, there is a special rod that you slide in where the drive shaft goes I believe. Its like a feeler gage type of proceedure. You adjust the motor until the rod slides smooth. This is just from memory so I may be off. Get the manual to be sure. I'd copy mine but its a different year 1987, may be a different proceedure.
    OL

Outnumbered
    Thanks for the pix NG, nice boat. Looks real clean.
    OL

gnarley
    NG, looks nice!
    OL I do have the full set of Manuals but it seems most times factory manuals expect factory tools!

not guilty
    thanks for the roses,boat is immaculate for an 88,thats why we bought it( fact it had twin BBF,s didnt help either)
    The tool for alignment I know can be bought from NAPA, its the same for merc & omc , just give counter person part #18-4442-THEY CAN GET IT !
    (part # will come up small engines #)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12