Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Presents (jetboat related)

malcolm
    Didn't get anything for the boat, but didn't spend so much that I'm broke.

Cas
    Originally posted by Squirtcha?
    Casman, you're gonna be styling this summer with the new motorhome. I've been thinking real serious about picking up a class C (20 something footer) this year.
    Dan,
    We've been looking at motorhomes for over a year to find they exact one we wanted. My wife insisted on a rear bed and I wanted one no bigger than 24' and fully self-contained with a generator. It seems what we were looking for is kind of a rare bird but we finally found one.
    It's a 1985 Class C on a 1 ton Chevy chassis with only 33,000 miles on it. I came with 6 brand new tires, new front end bushings, new shocks and a new muffler/tailpipe. The only downfall ( I thought) when we bought it was it only has a 350 small block. After taking it to LA for Thanksgiving and to pick up the new boat, I'm glad it has the small block. On the way down, we got almost 12mpg and about 10mpg on the way pulling the boat.
    As far as power, it pulled the boat over the grapevine a whole lot better than I would ever have expected. There was only one stretch at about the 2500 ft level where the tranny kicked down into 2nd gear. That was also on a fairly good incline compared to most of it. I'm guessing it would have struggled a bit more had we been pulling the boat in the southbound direction as it seems the grapevine is a bit steeper in that direction.
    When you get one, you will be glad you did, they make traveling so much nicer. Having all your stuff all set and ready to go at a moments notice is a big plus. As you know, getting the kids all packed and ready to go for a weekend trip can be a PITA

Mopar426
    Next to the boat, our motorhome was the smartest purchase. My wife loved boating, but hated to camp out in the heat. She swore she would never go out to the lake again unless we bought a camper. We had a tight budget so everything in our $6,000 price range was trash! I found TLC took on a whole new meaning. We found a winner a 1979 Sportscoach II 34 footer that was super clean and loaded to the max. 7K generator, dual a/c, microwave,
    two wet bars, central vac, trash compactor, full fridge with ice maker, rear bedroom with queen bed ect. It has a built 440 and drives great for a huge monster. Gas milage isn't too shabby around 7-8mpg, but we mostly go to Lake Pleasant and take one or two long hauls in the summer. It tows the 23 foot jet boat with ease, but towing in town sucks because it's 59 feet long and manuvering in traffic gets a little tricky, but it's worth it once we get to the lake and have a palace on wheels with all our gear ready to go. The best part is we got it for $5500 and 51k on the clock!!!

monkey rage frank
    I got my girls dad a box anchor,and then we finished a bottle of PATRON. My own X mas gift to myself should arrive soon. Dave at DNE should finish my 78 cole,and we should be at elsinore for a test real soon. I can't wait !!!!! I still have the wing !!!!!!

Wow, lotsa good stuff happening here!
    Cas n Jet City n Mopar..........thanks for the information on the motorhomes. I've really been torn between the small block/big block thing. It's nice to know that I don't have to totally discount a small block just for that reason. I always just kinda figured I'd need the big motor. I'll have some fun checking out that link you put up.
    Also a big congrats on the new job Jet City. That's some really great news. I've been with the same company for 14+ years, but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't ask myself the question (what if?).
    Hotrod, glad everything worked out for ya. I really like the looks of your new ride. I'm betting you're gonna be real happy with that one. That's a pretty boat. I think you got an awesome deal on it too.

Jet City
    Thanks for the congrats Cas and Dan. And Dan, I would do a little reading up before you buy, these things are a completely different animal than anything you've probably owned, I'd also test drive a couple different types at the dealers too, I am amazed at how easy my 27' class A drives (and turns on a dime too), I wouldn't rule one out as they certainly have many benifits. Mine has an ultra simple Q-jet 454/THM 400 powertrain which also gets around 8 mpg and has plenty of power. My wife and I love our old Pace Arrow. Oh, one more important fact, the tires should be replaced every 5-6 years regardless of tread condition, as with most big truck tires the rubber craps out before the tread, those RV sites have threads that will explain how to read the DOT date code, and many other first time buyers tips, all stuff I learned after the fact. Here's another cool link for reserving camp site's (national).
    http://www.reserveusa.com/

sidewound
    WTF!
    How did this turn into a motorhome post?
    At least mention that it's a JET motorhome bro's!
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

Mopar426
    I use the motorhome to pull the jetboat. When hooked together it kinda looks like a jet powered RV.

Sidewound
    Allow me to quantify. If/when I purchase a motorhome, it'll be used for JETBOAT PULLING 95% of the time. There I fixitated it!

sidewound
    OK ALL IS FORGIVEN!
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast