396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Originally posted by 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    RODS- .020-0.30
    MAINS- .025-.035
    Sorry for the typo Loooooong day
    rods- .020-.030
    mains-.025-.035

Mark Sims
    Sleekcraft, If you have good quality pushrods you could probably skip the restricted ones. Get at least an 8 qt pan. You can also enlarge the drainback holes in the heads by 2 drill bit sizes. Keep oil at the crank where its needed for those large main bearings, and you do that by restricting in the main saddles leading up to the cam. The cam will get plenty of oil. I've had the same cam and bearings for 7 years.

Taylorman
    Question for an Old expert. I recently rebuilt mine and am still unclear on one thing. By restricting the pushrod, does that keep oil in the bottom just as restricting the main's does. I'm under the assumption that the oil takes two paths from the oil pump. One route goes to the crank and up to the cam, the other goes to the oil galleys which goes to the lifters. Is this correct.

v-drive
    I'm not an old expert, i'm just old but that's exactly what happens. I used pushrods simply because I was able to modify them myself.I was fortunate enough to meet Dave Smith an old olds guru who helped alot. He is in northern california (Exeter)and his advice was to keep the oil on the crank and keep the rpm's under 5k...... v-drive

malcolm
    In a 455 the oil passage leads to the main saddles. There it gets split to the cam bearings and the mains. The front main has the two other holes that lead up to the lifter banks. The cam restrictors just limit oil to the cam so the crank will get more. The purpose of restricted push rods (or lifter bores) is to keep excess oil out of the valve covers. Most people mix these things together, but they have 2 different effects. No one is limitting oil to the "top end" by using cam (or main) restrictors, unless the cam bearings are the top end.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234