Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: B-Max

dorC
    I've heard some complaints about IMCO's drives. Never heard anything bad about the Teagues. Come to think of it, I never heard anybody complaining about the speedmasters either.
    [ September 26, 2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: dorC ]

Dr. Eagle
    I had heard of a few failures with IMCO drives, but one guy was running like 900 hp and 800 ft pounds of torque through the drive, so I am surprised it lasted as long as it did. It was one of the earlier ones just after IMCO started packaging them. I am still shocked with so many bmax failures. Just have to be careful believing what you read in these boat rags I guess...
    [ September 26, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]

BADBLOWN572
    I know quite a few people that have blown up the Imco drives. One guy I know blew up an Imco every time he went to the lake. The Teague drives simply take a bravo and put in "better" shafts and gears, but it is still a bravo. The only drive that I have seen that holds up successfully under some serious power is the #6. It costs money to be the fastest and badest.

carreraboat
    i have a cutomer with a a 257 witha dyno 1175 hp donovan that runs a max machine works drive no problems in 30 hours the guy hamers the shit out of it i would say go max machine

BADBLOWN572
    What is the pricing of the Max Bravo? What do they do to it to make it hold up. I am on #4 B-max, and I can tell you that I DO NOT hammer my drive at all. I honestly know no reason why I keep blowing them. I have never flown the boat and not gotten instantly off of the throttle, I blew one once that I put the drive on the back, ran it one day, and blew on day #2. Doesn't make sense to me. Would definitely consider going with something else if it will fix the problem.

Robbie Racer
    Does the Max Machine Works drive have any sort of warranty on it for applications over 1,000 hp? If it's that good, he ought to offer a warranty on it.
    I have a business associate that owns a CNC machine shop business and after I told him about my broken prop shaft and vertical shaft problems, he offered to clone them for me out of a high grade stainless material of some sort that they use in aircraft applications. I sent him one of each to clone out of this tougher material. He says these shafts will not break again even with 1,500 hp. We shall see.

carreraboat
    they told my customer they would warranty it to 1100hp they said the only thing that kills there drives are coming out of the water and letting the rpms up to high when you shift we spent 15000. complete from coupler back whole 9 yards

carreraboat
    hey robbie these guys are good they use some type of torsional(sp) steel they said stainless breaks to easy when you talk to these guys you know they know there stuff when there stuff breaks they take it and have it x-rayed to see what failed they are even building there own drive with a tranny that will smoke a dry sump #6 if you get to havasu it is worth it to stop by and see them it is just 2 brothers. they seem a litlle odd at first(most rocket scienest do) they are just a little pissed about everyone stealing there ideas they have all the orginals from when they conceieved the idea they said that they have taken the bravo style drive as far as you can go that is why they are working on there own stuff they even have this new gear lube from like nasa or something but you have to change your lube 3 times when you feel it up the forth time your lower unit grease is clean always because it polishes all the surfaces in the lower unit pretty impressive stuff the have some off shore racer guy that uses it and he picked up 2 or 3 mph in his kilo times just switching over to there gear lube documnted definitly i believe in those guys
    bo

Robbie Racer
    carreraboat, thanks for the info on these guys. If they warranty their drive for 1100 hp, that is putting their money where their mouth is in my opinion. If I still break shafts in my B-Max after I swap out to these new ones, I just may think of swapping drives to one of these. Thanks again, R/R

BADBLOWN572
    If their new drive will hold up under that condition and they back it up with a warranty, that would be the way to go. I am not impressed with the Bmax at all and I have seen way too many Imcos blow up. I am going to need a drive that will take 900h.p. no problem all day long and not break. I am getting tired of blowing something up almost every weekend out. I built this thing to go fast and you cant go fast if things keep breaking.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast