Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 6.3 mph gain from setup

Duane HTP
    I'm going to have to retract my statement about the Snoot being .090" bigger than the droop snoot. It is .090" bigger than the first droop that I measured. I went to the shelf and measured three different brands of droops and they are not all the same size. However, the Snoot was some bigger than each one of them.

Unchained
    Originally posted by Duane HTP
    Unchained, you put the Snoot to the test on the clocks. What is your opinion?
    Roger, you put the Snoot to the test on the clocks. What's your opinion?
    I would appreciate any answers. Thanks! [/B]
    I'm sold on the straight snoot. The whole principal of not bending the water flow two extra times is the key. Less restriction.

bp
    Originally posted by Ken F
    BP, okay I agree on the fact that a backcut shoe will lift the keel. That is their purpose, but it still seems to me that a BCShoe would have a much more pronounced effect on a lighter tunnel hull going say 100mph., than it would on a heavier V-bottom running 70. It's not a very big pad (or surface area) pushing up on a fairly heavy boat. My thinking was, that until you got the V-bottom out of the water, and moving pretty good on it's transom & rideplate, that it wouldn't be hardly noticable.
    I could be wrong here, and would appreciate your thoughts.
    Ken F
    i installed a closed edge backcut 5 years ago, when i was running a 400, or thereabouts hp 427. i got more lift at lower speeds, which translates into less drag, which translates into quicker acceleration. most of the time, i'm still using the same shoe. if i go with the flat shoe, the hull stays down in the water longer away from the starting line, which is visual with all the spray coming off the sides of the boat.
    on a really light boat, say 300+/- bare hull, built with weight minimization in mind, the hull should have plenty of lift without a backcut shoe. some will go to a tapered shoe to keep the biting edge at the desired location while minimizing lift from the shoe. too much lift from a light hull at 120+ can result in unloading from being too loose.

Duane HTP
    BP I think this is the time to explain to everyone who don't already know that there is more than one way to back cut a shoe. For instance; our race boat runs a back cut shoe of only .8 degree. That's 8/10th of one degree. On your heaver boat I would bet you have a bigger angle. What degree is your shoe back cut at? Is it two or three degrees? Just courious.

RD Express
    Originally posted by Duane HTP
    The Snoot is not smaller than the droop on the squeeze down. It is .090" larger. The Snoot has helped the hole shot for all of the boats so far that have been on the clocks.
    Unchained, you put the Snoot to the test on the clocks. What is your opinion?
    Roger, you put the Snoot to the test on the clocks. What's your opinion?
    IT WORKS!!! I will have to get my records out but I think it picked me up 4 - 5 mph and some ET. I post on Banderlog back in August all my test runs. If you want I would be glad to post it here also. I will need to get my records out and look them over.
    Dan Simmerly, you put the Snoot to the test on the clocks, what's your opinion?
    I would appreciate any answers. Thanks!

Duane HTP
    Yeah, Roger I would appreciate it if it's not too much trouble.

Jet Hydro
    Duane
    If I remember right Rick's boat (Flash Back) had one of the first ones? We put that one on my boat and ran 4 mph faster just bolting it on. Then you made me one. We installed it, did a little tuning, ran 4.5mph faster and some where around .500 quicker on the clocks than I ran with the droop.
    Hope that`s what you were looking for?

TexasJet
    Duane, is there anything that you can do to improve to performance of a Berk 12JE ? It's stock now.

Duane HTP
    Yes, those pumps can benifit a lot from performance work. E-Mail me at doblander@hi-techperformance.com or call 316-794-8616. I'll try to help you.

ChetCapoli
    Originally posted by Squirtcha?
    I'm no expert (obviously) but I'm trying to think about this thing analytically. It seems that there is no one thing that does it all. Just setting back a pump and adding a shoe and rideplate probably won't result in the maximum speed that a boat is capable of (this one I know first hand). Just adding a droop (or snoot) for that matter won't be the "big fix". The proper impeller for your max horsepower at a certain rpm won't do it either (tried that one too) although it's a biggie. Rather all these things combined, and properly set up is what will get you to your goals.
    Not getting on ya in any way mr squirtcha.....your thinking about it ananytically you say...so why didnt you go about it methodically then?? You spent all that $$ to have the intake removed and set up for a shoe...so why didnt you mess with that to get your speed for pennies more rather than spend even more money again.(not that it didnt work...personally for that much money it should do something) I guess i'm just puzzled why nobody(experts included) told you to take that route(most cost effective) since it seemed you were "on the fence" so to speak before you made your decision on the snoot.
    CHET

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast