Thread: Bravo XR Drive Speed Change?

FIREMAN
    Should I expect any speed change from the switch from the Bravo 1 X to the XR ??? Also how much speed difference from a used 24 pitch bravo ss prop to it being Lab finished.

al cole'holic
    FIREMAN:
    Should I expect any speed change from the switch from the Bravo 1 X to the XR ??? Also how much speed difference from a used 24 pitch bravo ss prop to it being Lab finished. I went to a labbed 24 but didn't really like it or the $900 it cost...to be honest I like the 24 balanced & blueprinted by York much better.

SteveDavid
    Fireman,
    You'll have a slight decrease in speed with the XR due to the larger gears, the straight cut and heavier U joints. However, it will be hardly noticeable on your speedo, like 1-2 MPH.
    Hopefully the increased reliability will outweigh the minor loss of shaft HP.
    As to labbing props, you never know till you try. Sometimes you pick up RPM and speed, sometimes you don't, sometimes an RPM increase but hardly any speed. For the same money as a labbed prop, you could probably find more speed with a reprogrammed ECU, or different ignition system (MSD) or a different air cleaner (Larger volume K&N, etc. Labbing will also reduce the longevity of your prop, particularly if you run thru sand or hit something. This reduced longevity is because labbing reduces blade thickness and thins the leading edges.
    Steve

al cole'holic
    SteveDavid:
    Labbing will also reduce the longevity of your prop, particularly if you run thru sand or hit something. This reduced longevity is because labbing reduces blade thickness and thins the leading edges.
    Steve ..you got that right, I turned that $900 prop into a spare which cost me $125 more to do that. Thanks AAA

victoryone
    You will not see a speed change when going from a bravo x to a bravo xz the upper gears are the same the only differance is the lower has what they call the big boy shaft and comes with a prop hub assembly will work with your old prop of you have a press in or removeble hub. Now! you will see around a 3mp drop in sped if you go to a bravo xr drive with sstraight cut gears. This drive is made for more hourse power and will last forever but does slow you down 3mp. Hope i could help, lane@govictorymarine.